ANOTHER Poll - What Breakfast?

What kind of breakfast do you have?

• Full English fry up

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • Full Scottish fry up (you must be brave)

• Cereal and milk

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Kiddy style chocolate / sweetie cereal and milk

• Muesli and yoghurt

• Toast and Jam

• Toast and Marmite

• Toast and cheese (or Cheese on Toast!)

• Some kind of kipper concoction

• Other

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tetedelacourse

Melvil said:
Slightly OT: I once had to explain to a fairly conservative chinese teacher - in mandarin chinese - what spotted dick was and why the name was considered humorous. It was pretty embarassing...

...But not as embarassing as, after the teacher had read a (somerset Maugham, I think) novel and demanded to know what 'latex model of a dick' was...

Anyway, look, Kippers, Haddock, they both swim, breath through gills, get caught and put on a plate; slight coding differences in their DNA notwithstanding they could be brothers and sisters!

Er, kippers don't swim:biggrin::biggrin:

Tetedelacourse

barq said:
I used to be one of those people who didn't bother with breakfast, but I've learned the error of my ways. Now it is a really substantial meal. I go for a fried medium sized egg (I have a special egg pan - so it hardly needs any oil), a thick slice of my own wholemeal bread lightly toasted and about 1/3 of a can of Branston baked beans.

On the occasions where I've used sliced bread from the shops it just doesn't keep me filled up until lunch so I suspect the relatively low GI of my bread is important.

Porridge is good too, but I don't enjoy eating it as much.

Flamin eck Barq, with a breakfast like that you wont have a problem with folk drafting you!;)

Arch said:
"Vat is Kippers?"
"Er, a sort of salty smoked bony fish..."

"<doubtful sounding> Ah.. Vat is porridge?"
"Er, a sort of hot paste made of oats and milk"

"<doubtful sounding> Ah.. vat is Black pudding?"
"Er.. a sort of sausage made of blood..."

"<happy> Ah! Ve vill hav ze full breakfast!"

When you stop to explain some stuff, you realise how odd it might seem!

Ask a German to explain Presskopf to you.

Arch

Married to Night Train
Tetedelacourse said:
Er, kippers don't swim:biggrin::biggrin:

Good point. I think Melvil has been talking to bonj.

BTW bonj, I skimmed your post and thought for a minute you had a Ginsters pasty on top of your porridge...

I must get back into making porridge. I bought oats in bulk ages ago and I really should use them up!

OP
OP
M

Melvil

Arch said:
Good point. I think Melvil has been talking to bonj.

BTW bonj, I skimmed your post and thought for a minute you had a Ginsters pasty on top of your porridge...

I must get back into making porridge. I bought oats in bulk ages ago and I really should use them up!

Yes they do, I've, I've, erm, seen them, in the water, all smoky, erm, and I have a rather fuzzily defined 'scientific' report (which I won't post the link for) that says I'm right!!!! Oh yes!!!!*

* That 'Yes' should in fact be 'No'

Pete

kippers don't swim:biggrin::biggrin:
They do surely? Some sort of a flat fish like a sole, but dark brown, bony on one side, I think they are dredged up from the sea beds....;)

My breakfast? Half a grapefruit. Some days muesli (with milk); some days half an avocado sprinkled with pepper but nothing else. Toast spread with (various) patés. Tea. Keeping the sugar down you see, very little in any of this.

bonj2

Arch said:

nah, that would be quite nice though ;)

Tetedelacourse

Pete said:
They do surely? Some sort of a flat fish like a sole, but dark brown, bony on one side, I think they are dredged up from the sea beds....;)

My breakfast? Half a grapefruit. Some days muesli (with milk); some days half an avocado sprinkled with pepper but nothing else. Toast spread with (various) patés. Tea. Keeping the sugar down you see, very little in any of this.

Usually it's herring but can be other types - but a kipper is the name after it's been killed, dried, salted, smoked etc. Hence kippers don't swim. What they do do though is make an entire house smell like Dunbar harbour.

AVOCADO for breakfast?! Oddest thing yet! Not an unattractive proposition though!

longers

Legendary Member
muesli for me on a weekday, half cheap own brand and half expensive dorset cereal co fancy muesli. Porridge on a weekend and poached eggs on toast with bacon about once a month. A fry up when I've got guests.

Pete

Tetedelacourse said:
...a kipper is the name after it's been killed, dried, salted, smoked etc.
I'M TELLING YOU, young Tetedelawhatsit whippersnapper, you - that live kippers are often to be seen skimming the depths of Loch Ness - and are the main food source for Nessie and her cubs... FFS you're going to try and persuade me next, that the Haggis is not a living creature (one long leg, one medium, one short), often found scuttling round the contours of the hills in the Highlands, to catch one you simply turn it 180° so that it falls over...

AVOCADO for breakfast?! Oddest thing yet! Not an unattractive proposition though!
I know, I know - thing is, I've sort of 'gone off' sugary things, even most of the muesli type stuff; Avocado is quite a nice substitute though I must say it's difficult to get the idea across to a typical B&B landlady! ;)

Tetedelacourse

Pete said:
I'M TELLING YOU, young Tetedelawhatsit whippersnapper, you - that live kippers are often to be seen skimming the depths of Loch Ness - and are the main food source for Nessie and her cubs... FFS you're going to try and persuade me next, that the Haggis is not a living creature (one long leg, one medium, one short), often found scuttling round the contours of the hills in the Highlands, to catch one you simply turn it 180° so that it falls over...

You made my spidey dance and so I will treat what you say as fact.;)

Top Bottom