(another) Quick Question

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Honestly it is a quick question....does anyone know anything about Special CNC bikes? Reynolds 531 and with Huret derailleur, strong light etc.
I haven't heard of them so I just looked to see if there was anything on Google and there was quite a bit. I think it said they were made in Paris.

OP
OP
woodbutcher

woodbutcher

Veteran
I haven't heard of them so I just looked to see if there was anything on Google and there was quite a bit. I think it said they were made in Paris.
Just been reading the link from Drago...interesting stuff. The trouble about living in France is that almost every day l come across bikes which l have not heard of but which l would love to get hold of, just so that l could have a good look at them ....tempting :smile:

Just been reading the link from Drago...interesting stuff. The trouble about living in France is that almost every day l come across bikes which l have not heard of but which l would love to get hold of, just so that l could have a good look at them ....tempting :smile:
Too true, there seems to've been a countrywide cottage industry in frame building! I don't know if the "hipster effect" has hit France, but there are a couple of UK ebay sellers who are obviously importing them

OP
OP
woodbutcher

woodbutcher

Veteran
Too true, there seems to've been a countrywide cottage industry in frame building! I don't know if the "hipster effect" has hit France, but there are a couple of UK ebay sellers who are obviously importing them
Haha.."Hipsters" in my part of France, no chance. People still carry on the same traditional ways of working that have been used for generations. Admittedly with some modern machinery. I have good French friends who work their vineyard almost entirely by hand ( l help with the harvest, no machines in use). So if my reading of what a "hipster" stands for i.e. making tradition fashionable they could come here and get first hand experience.
l still don't understand the fashion for fixed wheel bikes though. When l was a kid we made them up ourselves mostly because you could do so cheaply, then muck about with "cow-horn" bars and go faster tape and perversely have competitions to see who could ride the slowest.

l still don't understand the fashion for fixed wheel bikes though.
I think they're just pretending to be cycle couriers with their (vintage) musette bags and all. You don't see many hipsters actually riding them they're more for posing with outside pop up "dirty" cafes :smile:

OP
OP
woodbutcher

woodbutcher

Veteran
What a strange world we live in....who on earth would want to be a genuine courier on a bike never mind a fake one ?

Top Bottom