Another Raleigh Twenty project

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Hello all, been quite a while since I posted here, hope you are all in fine fettle. Thought I'd share with you a recent project, the bike had been languishing in the back of the shed for a few years, and deserved a new lease of life. This is the second one I've done, and as before the aim was to have a modernized and usable bike:-

1.jpg

2.jpg

Front and rear wheels are now the more common BMX 20" version, and a modern 3-speed SA hub with coaster brake.
3.jpg

The plastic upper bushing was replaced with a regular headset bearing
4.jpg

I added a long reach caliper brake up front. It's pretty useless really. Plan to weld some V-brake bosses to the fork as an upgrade.
5.jpg

Stripped and serviced the BB, and happy with how it performs so far
6.jpg

Must say it's great fun to ride, well worthy of this type of resto, and would highly recommend to others. Cheers for now.

All uphill

Still rolling along
Nice project.

I'd forgotten those plastic/nylon bearings! It must steer lots better with a proper bearing.

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
My brother dropped it round the other day, he had no use for it. Similar to a Raleigh Twenty in many ways, but none the less their own take on the design classic. Yours looks a minter :okay:

Better than a 20 in my opinion. Mine was a bit of a dog, I spent a lot of time doing it up. Too many bikes so I sold it when I finished it.

ianpallen

Über Member
I have just gone through all of this thread. Loved it. I have two Raleigh twenty. A twenty and an R20. The twenty has a front rack and basket and a rear rack. It is a 1979 bike. The R20 doesn't have a front rack. Someone painted it red and named it after a steam train. It has the plastic tray on the back rack. I have stripped it down and going to respray it. I need to get a few things for it, like brake blocks, cotter pins and perhaps some BMX wheels. But for the age, it is in very good condition. Slight surface rust which all cleaned up nicely.

If anyone fancies a meet up in the Reading area get in touch. I'm here till end of June, after that heading back to Thailand. No car, so will have to be within a few miles of here really. Got quite a few R20 type spares to give away if needed :okay:

Top Bottom