Another Reason to wear a helmet

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
U

User6179

Interesting video clip used on that link:

hcl6faxev63lhgw62kf7.gif

The helmet is causing the neck to be hyperextended. That significantly increases the risk of spinal cord and disc injuries. Not exactly a recommendation for that helmet...

jiFfM.jpg

Have you got the clip showing what happens without the helmet , you would have to compare the 2 clips !!

Drago

Legendary Member
There's no without helmet footage cos the explosion took out the camera.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Its a very personal choice. I am a bit like Shaun, keeps the boss off my back, but I was glad for it last week. I have ordered the same lid again.

That video above shows the lid grabbing the surface, that never happens, so you wonder what they were using in the test, as plastic on tarmac will slide better than skin.

Its a very personal choice. I am a bit like Shaun, keeps the boss off my back, but I was glad for it last week. I have ordered the same lid again.

That video above shows the lid grabbing the surface, that never happens, so you wonder what they were using in the test, as plastic on tarmac will slide better than skin.
Your proof of this assertion??

ComedyPilot

Secret Lemonade Drinker
The only reason I can think of that certain people keep banging on about how we should all wear a helmet is because they're rather embarrassed to be wearing one themselves when they come across a bare headed cyclist. They somehow feel less macho and have to justify their own decision by handing out patronising lectures on how you're certain to die if you crash without one.

Lighten up, helmet compulsionists. Those who choose not to join don't think any less of you for wearing one, we respect your choice and will never start a conversation telling you we think you why we think you don't need one and neither will we ride behind you laughing and waving an imaginary Coke bottle. All we ask in return is that you respect our choice, mind your own business and STFU.
Pretty much sums up my view too - and possibly the view of most 'anti's' on here.

Re. the video, where are the crash test dummies arms? I may be just a thick Yorkshireman (with reasonable broadband access) but I thought people falling instinctively put their arms out to protect themselves/break the fall? Seems the pro-group (the ones that insist we must wear one, not the reasonable pro-choicers) think ALL falls from a bike are head first jobbies?

I prefer to hone my riding skills and avoid falling off. Perhaps if helmet wearing people are so scared of falling off, then cycling might not be for them? Leave cycling to people that can actually ride safely for thousands of miles incident free.

Drago

Legendary Member
I may be just a thick Yorkshireman (with reasonable broadband access) but I thought people falling instinctively put their arms out to protect themselves/break the fall?
Only Yorkshiremen put their arms out. The rest of us instinctively fally down with our arm rigidly at our sides.

I prefer to hone my riding skills and avoid falling off. Perhaps if helmet wearing people are so scared of falling off, then cycling might not be for them? Leave cycling to people that can actually ride safely for thousands of miles incident free.
yeah, you should trawl this site and point out ti all those that have been knocked off that they just didn't hone their skills like you have.

swansonj

Guru

Which may be why nature has provided (most of us) with a specifically low-friction covering to our heads, so as to minimise the chances of snagging and the consequential rotational injuries

fossyant

Your proof of this assertion??

Personally road tested twice. Both lids skidded on the road, and did not dig in. Same could not have been said for short hair and a scalp. Oh and like John says, common sense.

In that test they must have been using some form of rubber on the crash pad.

fossyant

Which may be why nature has provided (most of us) with a specifically low-friction covering to our heads, so as to minimise the chances of snagging and the consequential rotational injuries
Like skin ? Erm my shoulder, ar$e and elbow have a fair bit more fatty tissue under than my noggin.

As I have said, helmets are good for gravel rash protection, and maybe concussion. Rotational injuries, can't say I've ever suffered one, and I tend to use these so called 'spikey' helmets.

It's personal choice

In the US there is the wonderfully named Professor Hurt who is the lead for the Bicycle Helmet Safety Institute.

They have major concerns over modern design where ventilation, straight surfaces and acute angles cause what are referred to as "snag points" which can arrest this natural motion and cause rotational forces. These along with teh effect on teh brain of the movement being arrested suddenly may exacerbate injury.

In some cases the helmet has been ejected from the head.

Of course the answer from the manufacturers is to tape the helmet to the head form when testing ... preventing ejection

They are suggesting a return to rounder, smoother safer helmets without these snag points

swansonj

Guru
Like skin ? Erm my shoulder, ar$e and elbow have a fair bit more fatty tissue under than my noggin.

As I have said, helmets are good for gravel rash protection, and maybe concussion. Rotational injuries, can't say I've ever suffered one, and I tend to use these so called 'spikey' helmets.

It's personal choice
Err no, hair actually, clearly I was being a little too subtle

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom