Another stupid idea...Using Plastic Nuts for Mudguards ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Rooster1

I was right about that saddle
A few years back I learnt the hard way about the dangers of mudguards on road bikes.

My Giant Defy with its Giant branded Defy Mudguards are connected by metal bolts to the frame, and a twig got into my front wheel and sent me into a 180 headbutt uphill as the mudguard was eaten up into the frame. It was nasty.

So, I was wondering if I replaced the metal H4 bolts for plastic ones, this would be the break point I would need in the "unlikely" event of something jamming into the mudguard. The rear is not such as issue, but the front is where the danger is.

P.S, I have looked for some alternative "Fender" "Mudguard" "Attachments" "Mounts" etc etc but there is not alot out there.

thanks

D

Deleted member 1258

Another vote for secur clips, I have them on all my bikes, on my fixed I have them on the back and front, a set of secur clips on the back helps getting the wheel out on a bike with track ends.

D

Deleted member 1258

I bought some of those and they just didn't work with the stay ends for some reason. Mind boggling as to why.

I think it was on my Eastway I had trouble making them fit, it took a little stay bending to do it.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
I bought some of those and they just didn't work with the stay ends for some reason. Mind boggling as to why.
Well, as I said, they aren't universal. I once bought some in error that wouldn't work with my stays too. Then contacted Spa (who sold me the bike) and they told me exactly what it was that I needed.

So there may be one out there that will work for you. Maybe ask a Giant dealer?

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!

Use them (secu clips). They also need occasional cleaning as crud get's in. Used them front and back on my fixed, as it enabled you to get the rear wheel out on a fixed gear. Currently using them on the front of mt 'old' MTB that I use on tracks and the canal for 'faux commutes' - blooming essential especially if something flicks up.

Worth occasionally checking they pop out still.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
When fitting a front mudguard make sure there is only minimal clearance between the end of the guard and the tyre, and as much as possible under the fork crown. That way anything that does get pulled through under the guard will clear the rest of it with ease.

Also make sure the frame is built to take mudguards, shoehorning a pair onto a race frame with fag paper clearance is asking for trouble.

Drago

Legendary Member
As long as your bike has a fork crown, you run the risk of a jamming incident.

As Smokey Joe says, fit the guards snugly, and read the road ahead.

Chris S

Legendary Member
I use wood screws screwed into pieces of plastic cut from old motor oil cans. They don't come loose unless something jams between the mudguard and the wheel.

I have used nylon bolts as placeholders to protect threaded eyelets.
My secu clips have activated both times I needed them to work. If you have chromoplastic mudguards you must use them in the front.
With metal guards they are not going to fold up and jam to the same extent, they will bend and distort.

the snail

Guru
As long as your bike has a fork crown, you run the risk of a jamming incident.

As Smokey Joe says, fit the guards snugly, and read the road ahead.
No, the issue is where the stays attach at the fork dropouts , if something gets jammed in the mudguard (might be a stone or mud), it gets pulled down onto the tyre, and you will inevitably go over the handlebars. If you can't fit qr mounts, another solution is to attach the stays half way up the fork instead of at the bottom.

Top Bottom