another tyre question

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jim55

Guru
right ,,iv been told that wheels/tyres are the area to look at for improving the weight of the bike(my fixed that is ) ,,iv got the wheel off(surprisingly light) and its got shoot kenda tyres on (700*32) but the wheels are quite light ,, iv felt carbon wheels and though they are lighter i cant justify £300+rims on a cheap bike from ebay ,,so initially ill b looking at replacing the tyres ,,theyr for commuting and gen tarmac use ,,i was gona go 28mm,so whats reccomended ,,im after a good all round lightish tyre and puncture resistance is an issue(cost as well,i dont want much eh lol) conti gatorskins? and do the tubes make a diff to rotating mass?

BSRU

A Human Being
You going to get alot of varying opinions.
From the four different tyres I have commuted on, Marathon Plus, Vittoria Randonneur Hyper Folding City Tyre, Marathon Winters and Conti GP 4 Seasons, the best by far are the GP 4 Seasons and if you look around they can be found for 30 quid each.

OP
OP
jim55

jim55

Guru
yeah ,,app contis have a good rep ,,and the puncture resistance is what i need as getting to work with no drama is what im after ,,m+ is just too heavy iv been told and im trying to get it lighter lol

ushills

Veteran
What about gatorskins, heard good things and they are my planned upgrade from the Kenda 26C (however, they have been good for winter training despite the weight)

BSRU

A Human Being
yeah ,,app contis have a good rep ,,and the puncture resistance is what i need as getting to work with no drama is what im after ,,m+ is just too heavy iv been told and im trying to get it lighter lol
My bike originally had some crap Kendas and when I changed to M+ tyres they were similar in ride, that is not good. But it was not until I changed to the Conti's I realised how bad, in my opinion, the M+ tyres are. Four GP 4 Seasons weight about the same as one M+, this extra weight is very noticeable when trying to sprint away from a standing start, a common occurrence when commuting.

big vally

I'd recommend Bontrager Race Lite Hardcase's. You can get them at the 28mm size you want and they're slick and pretty fast and reasonable light.
They are also supposed to be puncture resistant and my experience is that they are....have had them on one of my bike for 1.5 years and on another for over six months. These are my most used bikes and I've still to have a puncture with these tyre.

Mind you I've tempted fate and blown it now by saying that:rolleyes:

Top Bottom