Tyre glider (and other 2nd generation tyre levers) question

• Thread starter Deleted member 121159
  • Start date
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
D

Deleted member 121159

I have found that with the tyre glider (and I imagine with other gliding type 'levers'), it is easy to pinch the inner tube when installing the tyre. It's pretty obvious why - rather than using it like a lever (so you lever in the tyre onto the rim), one hooks it on the rim and them glide it along the edge. So even if there's no pinching initially, it can catch on the tube whilst gliding (and damage it). To my frustration this has happened for the third time. Any advice on how to prevent this from happening?

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Put some pressure in the tube? (Just enough to give it some shape, but not too much or it will make the tyre very hard or impossible to get on.)

Chief Broom

Veteran
I find that if the tyre is kept in the 'well' away from the edges this gives more slack for fitting. I guess it depends on tyre type but i can fit mine just using my hands. I do carry a lever in my riding kit but i could manage without if necessary.

Last edited:
OP
OP
D

Deleted member 121159

Put some pressure in the tube? (Just enough to give it some shape, but not too much or it will make the tyre very hard or impossible to get on.)

I will try if this helps. I often skip this step so that might be why.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 121159

Washing up liquid or warming up the tyres makes the job easier when you're at home.

I can fit it with my hand (using Conti Grand sport ultra atm). But as I have the tyre glider, I thought I might as well use it to make it easier.

Sharky

Guru
My wife's best Talc was the old option, but Talc has been discredited, so she doesn't buy any nowadays. :sad:

Eric Morecombe was a fan of talcum powder.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
I think the trick is actually finding tyres that you can fit easily, that also meets all your demands. That takes out Schwalbe Marathons for most people.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 121159

I don't really have a problem fitting Conti grandsport with bare hands but as I said I thought to myself since I have a tool why not use it!

Sharky

Guru
I think the trick is actually finding tyres that you can fit easily, that also meets all your demands. That takes out Schwalbe Marathons for most people.

To miss quote somebody from a different sport.

It's all down to luck...
... And the more you do it, the luckier you get.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
To miss quote somebody from a different sport.

It's all down to luck...
... And the more you do it, the luckier you get.

Its not down to luck. Its down to research. I used to use Schwalbe Marathons, which are a pain to get on and off. I did some research and found Pirelli Cinturato Velo. They have just as good puncture protection, roll faster and are much easier to get on and off.

Top Bottom