Another "what lock?" recommendation thread...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
On my old bike, the insurance company just stated that I had to "secure" it when it was left unattended, so I had a basic cable lock that I used most of the time for quick stops when I was out for a ride, only carrying the heavy and bulky Magnum D-lock (Sold Secure Gold rated) for the odd time when I thought I'd need it...

Now the insurers are insisting on a "Sold Secure Bronze" or above rated lock for the new bike due to it's value.
I've no problem with this as I don't want it stealing either, but I'm struggling to find a decent lock that isn't as heavy and cumbersome as the Magnum lock I've already got, or alternatively has loads of 1-star reviews from people who've had their bikes nicked by having a "Sold Secure" cable lock cut through.
I've also looked at a few Sold Secure cable locks and to be honest I'm struggling to see what difference there is between them and the cable lock I've already got apart from the price...

So, can anyone recommend a good quality, reliable, lightweight lock that will satisfy my insurers and give a better than average chance of my bike still being there when I return after a comfort break or a café stop?
Or does such a thing not actually exist and I'm just going to have to get used to lugging the Magnum everywhere? :smile:

G3CWI

Veteran
So, can anyone recommend a good quality, reliable, lightweight lock that will satisfy my insurers and give a better than average chance of my bike still being there when I return after a comfort break or a café stop?

Almost by definition there is no such thing. A really secure lock will need to be substantial and thus will be relatively heavy.

Tim Hall

@User10571 was flashing a tasty lock on Saturday. Light, on account of being made of Titanium, but I don't know if it's got Sold Secure rating, on account of not being generally available in this country yet.
User10571, care to comment?

Feastie

Über Member
I bought one of those heavy Kryptonite gold locks (the orange ones that weigh half a tonne). I solved the weight problem by just leaving it at work. I had an identical one before and somebody went through it with some kind of metal cutter. If they want your bike.. they'll get your bike! It's all just for the insurance.

If you only need a bronze rated one some of the Abus D locks are a lot lighter than the Kryptonite ones. Much easier to stick in your bag!

DaveReading

Don't suffer fools gladly (must try harder!)
Or does such a thing not actually exist and I'm just going to have to get used to lugging the Magnum everywhere?

Good, cheap, light. You can have any two of the three.

classic33

Leg End Member
A problem I've come up against is that whilst using a Sold Secure Lock, suitable for a motorbike. The same lock isn't classed as suitable for pedal cycle use, insurance wise.

Does anyone know of any lock that has no plastic parts within?

OP
OP
NorthernDave

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
Thanks all.

Try this one. It's a bit small but it's less than 750 grammes, Sold Secure Silver, and it's not too expensive. I might get one myself. It's half the weight of the one I've been dragging around for the last seven years.

http://www.tredz.co.uk/.Kryptonite-...le_shopping&gclid=CK7Riu6T984CFYUy0wodRHQAig#

That seems worth a look - I've also found this one at around the same weight, that's also Silver rated and a little cheaper: http://www.tredz.co.uk/.Abus-Ultra-410-Mini-D-Lock_87447.htm

DaveReading

Don't suffer fools gladly (must try harder!)
Try this one. It's a bit small but it's less than 750 grammes, Sold Secure Silver, and it's not too expensive. I might get one myself. It's half the weight of the one I've been dragging around for the last seven years.

Interestingly, Kryptonite claim on their website that the Evolution Lite Mini 6 D Lock (11mm shackle) has the same strength as the 13mm Evolution Mini-5, Mini-7 & Mini-9.

http://www.kryptonitelock.com/en/products/product-information/current-key/001447.html

How does that work ?

OP
OP
NorthernDave

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
Ordered the Abus Ultra 410 Mini D Lock from Tredz and it arrived today.
Looks a decent bit of kit and the lairy green matches the new bike nicely, but I was surprised that it only came with two keys and there seems to be no warranty card / registration paperwork with it.

So, I had a look online and the Abus website isn't great.
To be honest I can live without registering the lock, and I've printed my order confirmation and product details off so I've got proof of purchase and that it's Sold secure silver rated, so thats all OK.

What I'm not so sure about is only getting two keys. One has gone on my keyring and the other is on my secret bike lock spare keys keyring that is hidden in a secret hiding place. The website isn't easy to follow, but it suggests that you search for stockists (which I've done) which then produces no results...I've filled in the online enquiry request so we'll see...

lutonloony

Über Member
As an aside to locks and insurance, when reading through conditions on insurance, minimum bronze standard required, but not allowed to leave it locked in one place for more than 18hrs! ( assume this didn't apply to home, but can't honestly remember)

Top Bottom