Anti glare night glasses

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Google it. It ain't rocket science.
Your hostility doesn't help solve the problem. I doubt the Google definition is what the real problem is, hence my question. You read malice into my questions far too easily. I prefer to understand the problem rather than shoot off nonsense.

Last edited:
Hello,
Does anyone have a recommendation for some antiglare glasses for night riding?
Thanks
If your problem is that the oncoming light is too bright, then lenses which reduce light will reduce the glare but obviously leave you with less light as soon as the oncoming car has passed. Think sunglasses at night.

If your problem is that the incoming headlights cause your existing glasses to scatter the light so that you get those familiar starbursts of light obscuring your vision, then glasses are the antithesis of a solution. Sandblasted windscreens, scratched lenses and lenses without coatings to reduce refraction are all causes of that light scatter. The purest, non-scatter vision you can have is with the naked eye. Everything else adds to the problem. The colour of the lens doesn't make a difference to diffraction.

derrick

The Glue that binds us together.
Your hostility doesn't help solve the problem. I doubt the Google definition is what the real problem is, hence my question. You read malice into my questions far too easily. I prefer to understand the problem rather than shoot off nonsense.
Everyone else understands what he is talking about.

Reactions: gbb

Skanker

I used to have a blue light blocking visor on my motorbike helmet, superb for night driving, much better than yellow visors. It had a polarising plain lense that only allows light to come through in one direction which is what prevents glare but doesn’t reduce visibility.
I think the blue light blocking glasses are marketed for computer screen users, so try googling that instead of night driving glasses.

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
Blue light blocking is a fancy name for a yellow tint. The human visual system finds yellow light less dazzling. That was why France had selective yellow* headlamps for decades, eventually killed off in the interests of standardisation and, no doubt, HIDs.

Aftermarket fog lights are still quite often yellow (which remains legal everywhere I know of) although they don't penetrate fog any better than white ones - that's a common misconception.

*a very specific shade

Globalti

Legendary Member
The glare story is a modern folklore perpetrated by the eyewear business. As YS writes above, dirty, misted or scratched lenses or car windscreens will scatter light causing flare around the light source. To reduce the brightness of oncoming lights you would need to wear sunglasses, which would reduce vision dangerously in the dark. There is an anti-reflection coating for glasses, which is that greenish tinge you see on people's glasses, which works very well indeed in reducing reflection from both sides of the lens and makes the lens effectively more "translucent". This works as well at night as it does by day but the lens still has to be spotlessly clean. Yellow or orange tinted lenses won't reduce light scatter but they add cost and look "trick" so people feel good about them.

Last edited:

simongt

Guru
Give your local Builder's merchant / safety supplies shop a look. Most will stock a very good range of all sorts of safety glasses; clear, yellow, anti glare, dark etc., etc., for under a tenner. Just as stylish as a pair of £250 Oakleys - ! :thumbsup:

OP
OP
Maherees

Maherees

Über Member
Yes, thanks I have a pair of them but they’re a little dark for nighttime riding. My £3 decathlon’s work a treat.

Looking at this from a different perspective. In some ways it would be no different from driving a car at night or perhaps faced with reflection from wet roads as I had the other day with the sun just bouncing off the road. I personally would not cycle without cycling glasses as there is too much of a risk of something getting in your eyes, eyes are precious. However I do find that the glasses do need to be kept really clean so not to offer too much in the way of refraction. I just wonder if there are any clear glasses with a tint only in the top segment. I bought a pair like that in Malta a few years back and they were brilliant but they did scratch.

Top Bottom