Any aspiring writers from the motor trade or car nuts?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cavalol

Guru
I'm no blog writer/wordsmith, but I did spend a couple of incredibly enjoyable years driving cars through the auctions and love really rubbish cars.

OP
OP
simon the viking
I'm no blog writer/wordsmith, but I did spend a couple of incredibly enjoyable years driving cars through the auctions and love really rubbish cars.
If you want write a few of your stories downI'd be happy to proof read and edit... And if you had photos to accompany the words then that would be fab

Im looking at getting enough material for a mid August launch

OP
OP
simon the viking
Blast from the passed?
Shouldn't that be 'past'? :unsure:

I was trying it out as a pun.... (as in passed test and past tense) I'll put you in the 'It doesn't work' pile.. But we are still in Beta so anything and everything could change, including the whole layout...

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
I appreciate your site is a first effort, but it is littered with grammatical errors, particularly capitals abuse.

To me, that makes it look very scruffy.

You also need to achieve a consistent style.

The best-written national newspaper - The Sun - is notable because every story is written in the same style.

This makes it a very smooth, easy read, and gives the impression of a seamless, well put together package.

OP
OP
simon the viking
I appreciate your site is a first effort, but it is littered with grammatical errors, particularly capitals abuse.

To me, that makes it look very scruffy.

You also need to achieve a consistent style.

The best-written national newspaper - The Sun - is notable because every story is written in the same style.

This makes it a very smooth, easy read, and gives the impression of a seamless, well put together package.
Thanks for your input I'll have a look at my proof reading

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Just sorting out the caps would transform it.

Ordinary nouns such as car sales, parts counter, etc are not capitalized.

There is no apostrophe in 70s, and to be picky I wouldn't mix numbers and words in the phrase '70s to the noughties', better to stick with words 'seventies to the noughties'.

You use trailing full stops a few times...

Use the same number each time, opinions vary, but it's usually three...although some people will tell you it should be four when the dots are at the end of a sentence because the fourth one is the full stop.

Whatever, but you should pick one way and stick with it.

As the self-appointed commissioner of the apostrophe police, I'm bound to mention there's apostrophe abuse in your text, although I've seen worse.

'Lets' is short for 'let us' so there should be an apostrophe to denote the missing u - let's.

'Editors job' - the job belongs to the editor so we need a possessive apostrophe - editor's job.

All in all, a fair bit of work, but better to do it as you go along because sorting the site after a few articles have been uploaded would be an even more daunting job.

OP
OP
simon the viking
Just sorting out the caps would transform it.

Ordinary nouns such as car sales, parts counter, etc are not capitalized.

There is no apostrophe in 70s, and to be picky I wouldn't mix numbers and words in the phrase '70s to the noughties', better to stick with words 'seventies to the noughties'.

You use trailing full stops a few times...

Use the same number each time, opinions vary, but it's usually three...although some people will tell you it should be four when the dots are at the end of a sentence because the fourth one is the full stop.

Whatever, but you should pick one way and stick with it.

As the self-appointed commissioner of the apostrophe police, I'm bound to mention there's apostrophe abuse in your text, although I've seen worse.

'Lets' is short for 'let us' so there should be an apostrophe to denote the missing u - let's.

'Editors job' - the job belongs to the editor so we need a possessive apostrophe - editor's job.

All in all, a fair bit of work, but better to do it as you go along because sorting the site after a few articles have been uploaded would be an even more daunting job.
Really appreciate tbe time you spent looking at it. I looked at it before your second post and thought do parts etc have a capital? And on second look deciced they didn't.

And I've been told about my use of trailing full stops before.......

So I've removed most of them.

I did miss the apostrophe mistakes though, I'll sort them later.

Thanks

I have been in the motor trade since early 70's mainly bodywork side, although I have done some mechanical work on cars . Had an exciting period working on the racing side making bodywork with all it's ups and downs .

Top Bottom