Any Brooks experts?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
I like the old Professional (the current Team Pro is quite different).

raleighnut

Legendary Member
A toe strap round it over some padding should slowly pull the sides in. Old timers used to do this from new to get that coveted inward curve. Take it off when riding.
I have a B17 narrow and Swift and they are equally very comfy.
I use that very technique if they get wet, a folded in half and rolled up duster makes a good size pad.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
Which are the most comfortable Brooks?

At the risk of sounding like a smart-arse the most comfortable is the one that suits your own arse. Thus, for me the B17 and Team Pro are just about perfect, with the Pro having the edge, and whilst I had a a Swift it took a long time before I broke it in / got used to it, but it was still not as good as the team pro (for me). However someone else might find the Swift perfect for them. For what it's worth the B17 and Team Pro were comfy from day one, so I'm not personally a believer in the 10,000 miles to break them in malarkey never mind adding various concoctions to break them in quicker.

Last edited:

simongt

Guru
i was given a B5n a few years ago but the modern version is the B17n
I'd bought my B.5N in 1966 and I understood from Brooks when I enquired a few years back that it had been a budget model, long discontinued. A pal of mine at the same time had a Sun Snipe Plus which came fitted with a B.15 as standard. :smile:

Teamfixed

Tim Lewis
I make it a thing to never discuss saddle comfort once you are happy with what you have. Therefore I'm going quiet :becool:

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
I'd hazard a guess that that really is a thing. I ain't googling to check though

One more chance to publicise the saddle fancier's monthly moomphty:
Screenshot_20200726-203251_Google.jpg

I didn't know Dominic Cummings was a fan. Or is he just testing his eyesight there?

raleighnut

Legendary Member
I'd bought my B.5N in 1966 and I understood from Brooks when I enquired a few years back that it had been a budget model, long discontinued. A pal of mine at the same time had a Sun Snipe Plus which came fitted with a B.15 as standard. :smile:
Yep the B5n was a budget model, I think it was the saddle fitted as standard to my 67 Carlton Clubman, it definitely had a leather saddle with lace holes when I got it off my Cousin in 76, that got broken in an accident in 85 when I cartwheeled the bike and the nose snapped off as it hit the ground. I rode it like that with lacing to keep the shape for a few years until my encounter with a lorry that nearly wrote the bike off and when I rebuilt the bike I couldn't afford a Brooks. The next time I rode one was in about 97 when I built up my Ridgeback from the frame I was given (Tange CrMo tubing) and John* at Bob Warner Cycles had a black B17n for £50. That was the start of me being a 'cyclist' as opposed to a bloke who just rode a bike everywhere and then I started building up a fleet of bikes for different purposes.

* it was John who gave me the B5n as I was building my Equipe up, I'd aquired a couple of 'Large Flange' Maillard hubs from the late 70s and having cleaned/polished and serviced them got him to build them into wheels and whilst collecting those he asked if I'd got a saddle for that bike yet (I'd ordered a couple of my other Brooks from him) and when I said not yet he went into the back and emerged with this old B5n and said 'Merry Christmas', it cleaned up lovely.

On this very forum
Here is the full write up, very funny.

CYCLISTS have been warned to be on their guard – after Britain’s most notorious BIKE-SEAT SNIFFER walked free from a court. Legal commentators had expected Clinton Dennison to be jailed after he was caught snurging seats at a municipal bike shed in Balham, south London – for the 57th time! But not only was he found not guilty, his lawyer successfully argued that sniffing bike seats is NOT an offence if the bike’s owner does not witness the act.
In a landmark ruling, city magistrates agreed with Dennison’s solicitor Armitage Phelps that a sexual motive had not been proved – and if the cycle’s owner was not present to see the sniffing, a public order offence could not be proved. As Dennison’s snurging had only been seen by a CCTV operative, magistrates ruled there was no case to answer and ordered the 31-year-old bachelor to be freed. The case could make saddle sniffing almost impossible to prosecute outside certain strict circumstances.
Unemployed former water treatment operative Dennison said nothing outside court, simply scuttling away making a high-pitched wailing sound. But he has vowed in previous newspaper interviews: “If I see a bike seat, I will sniff it. The law will come around to my way of thinking, eventually.”
Jo Prendergast, of feminist bike club Menstrual Cycle, blasted:“Again, the Establishment has side-stepped the very real issue that bicycle-seat sniffing leads to all manner of anti woman crimes. “One day it’s sniffing a bike seat, the next it’s glancing at bottoms or saying ‘hello’ to women in the street.”
Even enemies of cyclists have reacted with fury at Dennison’s vile antics. Brendan O’Cafferidge of the Taxpaying Road Users’ Forum said:“Anyone who uses Britain’s roads hates cyclists. “But not even these lycra wearing nincompoops deserve having their seating areas insufflated like this.”

Top Bottom