Any Brooks experts?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
While browsing in one of the local bike shops that sell used bikes from Europe and the US I spied a very dirty and dusty Brooks saddle. I asked the owner how much he wanted for it and he said 2Ocedis (about £3) so I took it. It’s a Swift, but the sides seem to have moved out a little. Can this be remedied? Would adjusting the nut underneah help? Ive put on some ‘Minky Oil’ proofing for leather my wife had and it’s looking a lot better now. The chrome rails underneath are perfect, a testament to the quality of the product. Any other tips?

Last edited:

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
Best not to use oil. You're likely to soften the leather so that it sags more & becomes unusable.
A cautious tweak of the tension bolt might bring the sides in, but don't overdo it.

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
Doesnt look all that pronounced for a Swift. The side flaps flare out a little anyway when you ride it, when pressure is applied to the spine. So that's a natural function of the saddle and I'd say it's just well ridden... Maybe the old owner also stuffed something under the leather above the rails, like his spare tube or a cape, pushing the sides out.

It actually looks pretty fine to me, I'd be tempted to leave it. If anything, maybe bind some elastic bands around the saddle and see if that helps pull the flaps in a bit narrower?
If the leather is taut I certainly wouldn't touch the nut.

Nice purchase!

OP
OP
Cycleops

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Looks very nice to me and a cracking buy too, that would be at least £40 in the UK.
Down here a saddle is a saddle, if I wanted a nasty plastic one it would be the same price. I don’t know if used ones are more sought after as they’ve been ‘broken in’ but I’ve seen a few a Ebay for upwards of fifty quid.

Shreds

I would suggest you buff the saddle now before the oil softens it more.

Shape is not really different to my Swift, which has only ever had Proofhide applied as per manufacturers instructions.

Suggest you dont start drilling holes in it.

The beauty of the Brooks is it will adapt with a little time to you, so dont force it.

I have always had Brooks leather saddles on all my bikes, replacing other types where necessary. Comfortable main points of contact with the bike are essential.

Gunk

Guru
I’ve had a couple of swifts (I’ve currently got one on my Brompton) and they’re not the most comfortable Brooks, they’re better with the tension slackened off slightly.

@Shreds is right it needs polishing, it should look like this.

Shreds

Or a Swift in close up

simongt

Guru
Like any saddle, it's a very personal thing. There's such a wide range of Brooks saddles available, you'll need to browse their website to see which one will best suit your needs. Many years ago, I had a B.5N, more recently I invested in a B.17 for my commuter / tourer. After a couple of weeks breaking in and pre use treating with Proofhide, I can't fault the comfort factor. ^_^ I've also just bought a C.17 for my audax bike and it worked for me from the first ride. :thumbsup:

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Like any saddle, it's a very personal thing. There's such a wide range of Brooks saddles available, you'll need to browse their website to see which one will best suit your needs. Many years ago, I had a B.5N, more recently I invested in a B.17 for my commuter / tourer. After a couple of weeks breaking in and pre use treating with Proofhide, I can't fault the comfort factor. ^_^ I've also just bought a C.17 for my audax bike and it worked for me from the first ride. :thumbsup:
i was given a B5n a few years ago but the modern version is the B17n, much more comfy for me than the B17 I own.

I'd rate mine in order of comfort as,
  • B17n
  • B5n
  • Swallow Titanium 2004 Ltd Edition
  • Swift Titanium
  • B17 Special (Copper Rivets)
I've also got a B67s but I've not got much mileage on that yet so won't 'rate' it but it seems fine, it's on my Raleigh 3 speed so it only gets shortish rides.

Top Bottom