Any closer and he'd need a condom

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
G

Gandalf

Veteran
You mean like when approaching an MRAB? ;)

<Shuffles off to look at footage again>

T'was close. Too close. Why weren't you looking behind?

How would looking behind help? Car was coming past and did, no reason to suspect idiot WMV would also come past, and if he had seen it coming what would the cyclist do? Too late to take primary, and if the cyclist had tried to a collision would have resulted as that WMV would probably pick a sqashed cyclist over a head-on collision (if he drives like that to overtake a cyclist, anyway).

How would looking behind help? Car was coming past and did, no reason to suspect idiot WMV would also come past, and if he had seen it coming what would the cyclist do? Too late to take primary, and if the cyclist had tried to a collision would have resulted as that WMV would probably pick a sqashed cyclist over a head-on collision (if he drives like that to overtake a cyclist, anyway).

Looking behind can make a differece. Yes it does help you to see what is going on behind you, but more importantly it is a communication with the driver behind. By looking back as the car/van approaches it often sows seeds of doubt in the drivers mind about what you are going to do, i.e. 'is that cyclist about to pull out?'

I've had plent of occasions where I've looked back just as a car was about to overtake, just for them to hold off, or take a wider overtake (yes this is anecdotal, but that is my perception anyway). I tend to get caught out with close passes when I haven't been looking around as much.

OP
OP
G

Gandalf

Veteran
Looking behind can make a differece. Yes it does help you to see what is going on behind you, but more importantly it is a communication with the driver behind. By looking back as the car/van approaches it often sows seeds of doubt in the drivers mind about what you are going to do, i.e. 'is that cyclist about to pull out?'

I've had plent of occasions where I've looked back just as a car was about to overtake, just for them to hold off, or take a wider overtake (yes this is anecdotal, but that is my perception anyway). I tend to get caught out with close passes when I haven't been looking around as much.

I have been wondering about this, not just in the context of the WVM stunt but more generally. If I'm not doing enough shoulder checks then I'm more than happy to be put right.

On a long straight stretch of road, where I'm not going to change direction I'm struggling to see how frequent shoulder checks would help. I mostly find myself looking over my shoulder when I'm approaching a pinch point or planning to turn right.

In my defence, if a defence is required, I was partially preoccupied with the mini RAB coming up followed by a hump backed bridge. I find that if I can maintain pace approaching the bridge, which is tight with double white lines, it saves me a shed load of grief as I can get over it more quickly.

If travelling on a straight stretch of road with no plans to deviate,how often should I be doing shoulder checks?

CopperBrompton

Bicycle: a means of transport between cake-stops
Careless Driving without a shadow of a doubt.

The main benefit of frequent checks behind is you can generally spot idiots like that early enough to execute a tactical wobble which usually deters them.

Bman

Guru

Looking behind does deter overtakes. Some drivers require more shoulder checks than others though :smile:

Any update on reporting this "danger to the public"?

alicat

Legendary Member
Judging by your position in relation to the drain cover, it looks to me like you were in the secondary position close to the kerb. Being further out would have made it harder for WVM to push past regardless. Could you choose a different route? That one doesn't look at all pleasant as it's narrow and has so much traffic. I also think that glancing round when a car is approaching makes the driver treat me like a human being (sometimes).

Paul_L

Über Member
the only downside about shoulder checks is that if the OP had done a shoulder check after the car had passed he would have almost certainly wobbled into the path of the front of the van.

StuartG

slower but further
I trust your trousers survived the fright. I am with you that looking behind when travelling at speed on a straight road is not always the best strategy. Its probably more a lesson in not wearing headphones. I guess you heard the danger before he came into vision. A vehicle too close does sound different and gives you those vital milliseconds warning to prepare to brake, check out the gutter ahead so as to make the best of a quickly narrowing situation.

Living to complain about appalling driving is the real result. The vid shows you held your nerver in a fightening situation. Well done!

Top Bottom