Any closer and he'd need a condom

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Ideally, you would do away with pinch points as they encourage cyclists to act as a traffic calming measure - better to have an enforced 20mph limit and a zebra or pedestrian crossing.

True, but I was just wondering how to deal with them as they stand.

Origamist

Legendary Member
True, but I was just wondering how to deal with them as they stand.

I have seen signs that tell drivers not to overtake cyclists when the road is narrow and I've got no problem with such attempts to ameliorate the situation for cyclists - however, we need to tackle the root cause of the problem, not its symptoms.

Don't accept the status quo - campaign to reduce the number of pinch-points.

Tynan

Veteran
I have seen signs that tell drivers not to overtake cyclists when the road is narrow and I've got no problem with such attempts to ameliorate the situation for cyclists - however, we need to tackle the root cause of the problem, not its symptoms.

Don't accept the status quo - campaign to reduce the number of pinch-points.

pinch points are for peds though surely?

Origamist

Legendary Member

Some are some are not. As I've stated upthread I'd like to see more zebra crossings and 20mph limits in residential areas (also 10mph limits) to make the streets more accessible for all road users. We should also be looking at the naked/shared street concept.

In your clip, I've just noticed that they've strategically placed a cycle stand and a bin in the way of a possible escape route if you get squeezed through the pinch point. It's just stupid.

I remember there being a trial of naked street design somewhere in London in the past. How did that go? Did they keep the design and if successful did it actually make any difference anywhere else?

Origamist

Legendary Member
I remember there being a trial of naked street design somewhere in London in the past. How did that go? Did they keep the design and if successful did it actually make any difference anywhere else?

In Seven Dials, London the road surface has been re-laid to remove the distinction between the roadway and the footway and kerbs have been lowered to encourage people to wander across the street.[sup][10][/sup] A scheme implemented in London's Kensington High Street, dubbed naked streets in the press – reflecting the fact that the road has been cleared of markings, signage and pedestrian barriers – has yielded significant and sustained reductions in injuries to pedestrians. It is reported that, based on two years of 'before and after' monitoring, casualties fell from 71 in the period before the street was remodelled to 40 afterwards – a drop of 43%

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shared_space

I'm waiting to see how Exhibition Road turns out.

I've not seen the casualty figures for Ashford since the implementation of shared space - I'd be interested to know how it's going.

Tynan

Veteran
logged it with Roadsafe as suggested, they don;t have anything that lets a person attach his oh so shiny video footage either

Lurker

I see pedestrian refuges as being more for the benefit of motor-centric traffic planners, highway engineers and politicians, in that they allow these people to be seen to 'do something' to help people to cross the road - and this is a way to do it which doesn't upset motorists. They do give some benefits to some pedestrians in some places, but as highlighted, often at the cost of making things worse for cyclists (because of poor driving). They're often too narrow to be any use at all to people accompanying children whether on foot or in pushchairs, wheelchair users, small groups of pedestrians etc. etc. Bollards on pedestrian refuges are frequently damaged by what highway engineers euphemistically call 'vehicular overrun', which suggests that refuges are not as much of a 'refuge' from motor vehicles as one might hope.

Zebra crossings and signalised crossings - together with lower speed limits, as others have said - provide a much better facility for crossing roads, and don't (unless a two-stage crossing) create pinch points.

Origamist

Legendary Member
You could add the hyperlink to the video in the description though?

Yes, that's the way to do it. The Met do check the vid links and will often send the link to the driver (worth bearing in mind if you want absolute anonymity).

Some are some are not. As I've stated upthread I'd like to see more zebra crossings and 20mph limits in residential areas (also 10mph limits) to make the streets more accessible for all road users. We should also be looking at the naked/shared street concept.

I agree 100% and I really like the shared space/ homezone/ liveable street etc idea (I live up such street at the moment) but it seems some councils are hesitant to implement them because the segregration between kerb and road is unclear to some partially sighted people :-(

stowie

Legendary Member
Hello all

tacking on my wvm clip for today, my first ever offering, apologies for the camera in pothole recording mode but I think the essence of the affair is there

heard him coming, saw him starting to pass me very wide with enthusiasm, started to wonder how he manage the island, and well ...

Wood Street in E17 this morning R247VND for the reg plate types

[media]http://www.ruedelagare.co.uk/CAM/2010-09-24 10:26:59.323-SUNP0002.mov[/media]

I know the road quite well, and avoid it if I can. Not only are there cars parked in bays and illegally, the cycle "lane" is utterly pathetic and plain dangerous. Everytime Waltham Forest spout eco-crap about cycling I want to send them a picture of this debacle of a road.

Did you catch up with him at the Forest Road junction? The irony of wood street in this direction is that everyone who overtakes is invariably caught in traffic waiting for these lights, and so the whole dangerous close pass is normally completely pointless. I have seen one moron overtake a cyclist by going the wrong side of one of the refuges in Wood Street whilst a pedestrian was in it trying to cross. If I ruled the world I would have snipers posted on the rooftop to educate these cretins.

campbellab

Thinking about pinch points like that would signs on approach that would encourage the cyclist to take a primary position in advance of the pinch point (when safe to do so) help. Yes, I know signs aren't the answer, but something that indicates best practice to both the cyclist and following drivers can't be a bad thing.....Just thinking....

Why not widen the cyclepath to take up half or 3/4 of the pinch point? Or make the cyclepath take the primary? Would they work? What would be the disadvantages?

Why not widen the cyclepath to take up half or 3/4 of the pinch point? Or make the cyclepath take the primary? Would they work? What would be the disadvantages?

One of the other problems with cycle lanes in general is that they dictate a particular road position. I often see cyclists who will follow the lane without question, no matter what is going on around about them. So yes, a lane that indicates a cyclist should take primary would be useful as a guide, but the worry is that some would follow it come what may.

Top Bottom