Any closer and he'd need a condom

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tynan

Veteran
isn't it, on winding it back frame by frame I was alarmed by how close that actually was, truly a skilled driver to judge the gap so precisely

stuck it onto Stop SMIDSY although i surprised they don;t have the option to attach video

g00se

Veteran
Blimey - did you send it to roadsafe too (assuming you were in the smoke)?

Hard to tell, but it looks like he could have barrelled through the subsequent zebra crossing with that woman stepping onto it too.

benb

Evidence based cyclist
Hello all

tacking on my wvm clip for today, my first ever offering, apologies for the camera in pothole recording mode but I think the essence of the affair is there

heard him coming, saw him starting to pass me very wide with enthusiasm, started to wonder how he manage the island, and well ...

Wood Street in E17 this morning R247VND for the reg plate types

[media]http://www.ruedelagare.co.uk/CAM/2010-09-24 10:26:59.323-SUNP0002.mov[/media]

Have you perchance got no spinal column, as your head seems to be wobbling all over the place!
Very close overtake, and at some speed too. What a prick.

Aye that was certainly close! :ohmy: As is the tradition with these videos I'll just make a suggestion for the future, take or leave as you wish.

I personally would take a much stronger position on approach to that pinch point (primary) and most definitely ignore the cycle lane . It's not so much a bad lane, as a downright dangerous one, which suggests to drivers that that is all the space you need.:angry:

Tynan

Veteran
I think my helmet is a tad loose, one of the clips at the back that holds the strap is busted

And I have a very sore neck from a bad (cycle) accident years ago which makes me rock my head to try and relieve the ache (it doesn't), I hadn't realised how bad it was until i looked at the first few recordings I made

sure Mag, I take primary at pinch points whenever I judge there not to be enough room, I know it doesn't look like it but that's one's not that narrow and I've never had bother on it before in over two years, as said, he passed me very wide and then cut in at one hell of an angle to avoid the island

If you look at the width of the car parked in the video and imagine that in the pinch point. Does that leave you enough space to be at least 1m away from the curb with at least 1m space for the vehicle to pass. I'd very much doubt it. Therefore, I'd definitely be taking that in primary.

I can understand that you haven't had any incidents up until now, but it only takes one....as this video shows.

davefb

Guru
tbh i was thinking thats actually a nice wide cycle lane marked, so more than enough indication for anyone but a WVM to give room. ( ie they havent done the stupid shrink the lane trick)..
I guess you're right, he's gone wide (10/10) , but misjudged your speed and failed to get the overtake in before the gap narrows.... poor ..

and yeah, he misses the ped on the zebra... tsk tsk...

Hmmm. let me list the problems with that cycle lane...

It contains drain covers, has nice slippy yellow lines in it, I'll bet it is well below the recommended width, it passes right in front of junctions (where cars will pull out), it has cars parked in it (not the lanes fault to be fair), it weaves in and out, it passed right within the door zone of a parking bay, it has roadworks signs in it, it has a poor surface which is broken in places....

Better if it wasn't there to be honest.:sad:

Tynan

Veteran
agreed, it's minimalist but it is a narrow road with nothing to spare so it's all that can be done i think, it's actually marked as a LCN main route, yes I know

As for the road condition, the whole road varies from poor to awful, I logged most of it with the pothole site last year, coming back (now in the dark) there a slight downhill section with some proper wheel breaker holes mixed up with a procession of bad covers and cracks, it really is like a slalom

I honestly think that only a maniac could make that pinch point dangerous, it's a fairly calm road because it's so narrow and with so many peds, crossings, shops and the like and a nice straight approach to the pinch

Origamist

Legendary Member
That's the worst kind of pinch point - not wide enough to comfortably accommodate a cyclist and a car/van, but not narrow enough to deter most last gasp overtakes/squeezes.

Before the pinch-point the cycle lane looks to be about 1.2m (less than min standards) and it's advisory - which given the width of the pinch point it would have to be if a Range Rover wanted to squidge through.

It's better practice to have one of the following: no cycle lane going through the pinch point, a segregated bypass, or if they do deploy a cycle lane it should be wide enough to be mandatory. In the vid posted by Tynan, I see no point having a cycle lane at that pinch point.

I agree Tynan. It certainly takes an idiot. Maybe I have more of them up here!:rolleyes:

My opinion about roads like that is that the lane makes it more dangerous. Sure it makes it look more inviting to new cyclists, but the reality is it teaches bad cycling habits and suffers from the compartmental issues.

A road like that would be better served with signs that instruct drivers that they should slow for cyclists and to expect them to be (rightly) in the middle of the lane where it is required. The cycle symbols in the middle of the lane whilst not being perfect also suggest that the whole lane is for bikes as well.

In my opinion anyway. Anyway I'll step off the soap box now! :smile:

Thinking about pinch points like that would signs on approach that would encourage the cyclist to take a primary position in advance of the pinch point (when safe to do so) help. Yes, I know signs aren't the answer, but something that indicates best practice to both the cyclist and following drivers can't be a bad thing.....Just thinking....

Tynan

Veteran
I'll look at it again with new eyes on Monday, perhaps it's so narrow that following cars don't try to come through with me and that's why it's never struck me as a problem before, I don't take primary but I am out on the edge of the lane, such as it is, so I suppose it's not inviting to anyone vaguely sensible

I always prefer to see them try at least to get the cycle lane through things like that rather than just stop it every time it gets to a tricky bit, as they're saying 'you're on your own for this bit'

You preach as much s you want magna, I promise London has just as many loons as anywhere I else, I'm well chuffed I've got the cam up and running, I see crazee shoot nearly every day, I hnestly think my riding is very good these days but god knows it has to be, old pilots and bold pilots and all that

...and this is what having the camera and posting the videos is all about. It make you think more about your riding. Sure you might not change it, but it gets you thinking more. At least that's what I find. Let us know what you think when you've had another look at the road. :smile:

Origamist

Legendary Member
Thinking about pinch points like that would signs on approach that would encourage the cyclist to take a primary position in advance of the pinch point (when safe to do so) help. Yes, I know signs aren't the answer, but something that indicates best practice to both the cyclist and following drivers can't be a bad thing.....Just thinking....

Ideally, you would do away with pinch points as they encourage cyclists to act as a traffic calming measure - better to have an enforced 20mph limit and a zebra or pedestrian crossing.

Top Bottom