Any coffee/espresso nerds on here?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

SheilaH

Not sure I’m getting the hang of this....

View attachment 573655

View attachment 573656

All the gear and no idea!

Depends what you are trying to make.

You made a cappuccino. Did you want a cappuccino or something else?

If you wanted a flat white then you need to put the steam tip much lower in the milk and steam it so there is noise and no splashing, and the volume of milk only increases by about 20%. For cappuccino it doubles.Have the steam top at an angle so the milk spins

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
I get my beans from a family run roasting place in King’s Lynn as they are so good.
Tropic?

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
Well, the Krups grinder and a kilo bag of beans turned up today and I'm scratching my head wondering what to do. I've read that the beans should be stored in an airtight container in a cool, dark place, but I don't know how much coffee to grind at a time... just enough for one brew, or enough for three or four days at a time? What do you experts do?

SheilaH

Literally just enough for your drink...if you want the best flavour. I'd suggest getting one of those tins with an airtight seal that you push down as the tin empties

stephec

Legendary Member
I got one of these free with my bean to cup machine, it does a good job but after five years the seals are going, and it seems to work better the fuller it is.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210213_184148_com.android.chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20210213_184148_com.android.chrome.jpg
    45.8 KB · Views: 4

SheilaH

What about a decent (genuine) ZipLoc bag, squeezing the air out after each opening?

AIUI there are volatile oils in coffee which account for much of the flavour. As soon as you grind you are massivelyincreasing the surface area of the coffee, so out come the oils. It's up to you. It's a balance between what is practical for you, and what tastes nice.

Maybe try an experiment: grind some coffee, stick it in an airtight bag for 3 days, then make some coffee and taste it. Then grind some fresh beans and compare. Ideally you'd make both coffees simultaneously and identically and sip tasting it without swallowing.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
AIUI there are volatile oils in coffee which account for much of the flavour. As soon as you grind you are massivelyincreasing the surface area of the coffee, so out come the oils. It's up to you. It's a balance between what is practical for you, and what tastes nice.

Maybe try an experiment: grind some coffee, stick it in an airtight bag for 3 days, then make some coffee and taste it. Then grind some fresh beans and compare. Ideally you'd make both coffees simultaneously and identically and sip tasting it without swallowing.
Sorry, I didn't explain clearly. I was suggesting storing the beans in ZipLocs, not the ground stuff. Anyway, I'm now looking at vacuum containers and vacuum pumps...... is there no limit to the gadgets that this coffee habit demands? All I wanted was a step up from Gold Blend.:cry:

Joey Shabadoo

My pronouns are "He", "Him" and "buggerlugs"
Fun factoid - coffee drinking is associated with a decreased risk of dementia. Drinking 3-5 cups of coffee per day in midlife is associated with a decreased risk of dementia by about 65%.

Top Bottom