Any coffee/espresso nerds on here?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
I think it’s 9g for a single, 18 to 20 for a double.
Grind beans as you need them. Any airtight container should do fine for starters.
Let us know you get on!
I have a one kilo bag of medium roast beans which my data book tells me have a bulk density of about 350kg per cubic metre, so should need about 3 litres of container space for storage. I've ordered three one litre Kilner-style jars from Ebay to be on the safe side so I can split the beans into more manageable batches yet keep most air away from them for as long as possible. We use 34 grams of ground coffee in the cafetiere each day to make about 700mL of coffee, so my kilo of beans should last about 4-5 weeks. There seems to be a bit of a controversy over where to store the beans....fridge, freezer, room temperature, or just a cold place in the dark. I think I'll try the semi-basement space under the external steps. It's pretty cool in there all year round.

Yep, I'm embracing a whole new world of nerdiness...:rolleyes:

newts

Veteran
What's all this milk stuff ye speak about in your coffee?
I have lactose intolerence & love my coffee black.
We're continually trying different beans, https://execoffeeroasters.co.uk/ (local to us) is very good.
The current bag of Union beans (Sainsburys) is very pleasant ☕
We store by rolling the bag down & using a clip.
1613325314684.png

Joey Shabadoo

My pronouns are "He", "Him" and "buggerlugs"
I think so, while they are unroasted. Is it after roasting they need to be kept from going orf? A cnerd will be along shortly. And yes, I want TM on “cnerd”. And yes, I know orf is a sheep disease....
ooh, I've had Orf. Not nice. You get it from handling sheep and I got it on my wrist - the bit exposed between gloves and boiler suit. The farmer got it on his neck - I didn't ask.

MntnMan62

Über Member
What's all this milk stuff ye speak about in your coffee?
I have lactose intolerence & love my coffee black.
We're continually trying different beans, https://execoffeeroasters.co.uk/ (local to us) is very good.
The current bag of Union beans (Sainsburys) is very pleasant ☕
We store by rolling the bag down & using a clip.
View attachment 573978

My wife has lactose intolerence so we only buy lactose free milk. I love milk in my coffee. Preferably frothed up for a cafe au lait.

newts

Veteran
My wife just has intolerance. :smile:
My wife too & she doesn't even drink coffee:whistle:
My wife has lactose intolerence so we only buy lactose free milk. I love milk in my coffee. Preferably frothed up for a cafe au lait.
I was on an elimination diet for a while & got used to drinking coffee sans lait, have l/free milk with me rice krispies in the morning.
Tried most of the other milk substitutes, just didn't really like them.
What temp do others drink their coffee, I like it cool enough to be able to swill around the mouth a bit?

MntnMan62

Über Member
I find lactose free milk to be no different than regular milk. And it comes in the same fat content iterations as regular milk. We drink skim for health reasons and I never have trouble finding lactose free fat free milk.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
I think it’s 9g for a single, 18 to 20 for a double.
Grind beans as you need them. Any airtight container should do fine for starters.
Let us know you get on!
I tried it for the first time this morning, just grinding 35 grams of beans for one brew. I read somewhere that a cafetiere needs a coarse grind so I tried that. The coffee was pretty good but not quite strong enough and slightly bland. That could be the beans, the grind, or the quantity of grounds used. I whole new world of daft coffee geekery opens up at my feet......

MntnMan62

Über Member
I tried it for the first time this morning, just grinding 35 grams of beans for one brew. I read somewhere that a cafetiere needs a coarse grind so I tried that. The coffee was pretty good but not quite strong enough and slightly bland. That could be the beans, the grind, or the quantity of grounds used. I whole new world of daft coffee geekery opens up at my feet......

What is the rest of your french press process? Brew time, etc.

Top Bottom