Any coffee/espresso nerds on here?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

stephec

Legendary Member
Yeah you've told us that three times already this week
I don't remember reading that.

OP
OP
Fab Foodie

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Well, the Krups grinder and a kilo bag of beans turned up today and I'm scratching my head wondering what to do. I've read that the beans should be stored in an airtight container in a cool, dark place, but I don't know how much coffee to grind at a time... just enough for one brew, or enough for three or four days at a time? What do you experts do?
I think it’s 9g for a single, 18 to 20 for a double.
Grind beans as you need them. Any airtight container should do fine for starters.
Let us know you get on!

Joey Shabadoo

My pronouns are "He", "Him" and "buggerlugs"
I think it’s 9g for a single, 18 to 20 for a double.
Grind beans as you need them. Any airtight container should do fine for starters.
Let us know you get on!
eek - yesterday I tried the 30g for a single mug cafetiere advised upthread. A tad strong.

SheilaH

I wouldn't worry about that. Just have a play with different doses until you find what you like.

Incidentally, caffeine content is related to time of exposure to water which is why cafetiere coffee is strong in terms of caffeine, and (contrary to popular opinion) espresso isn't. *

*(Like for like bean variety obv, as caffeine content varies markedly between beans. Bar espresso in Italy can have a relatively high robusta content, which generally equates to more caffeine)

Last edited:

Joey Shabadoo

My pronouns are "He", "Him" and "buggerlugs"
Funny, some of the best coffee I've ever had was from a Dunkin Donuts in Mechanicville, NY. Just regular filter but there was always a queue so i wasn't the only one that appreciated it.

SheilaH

They've got a thriving artisan coffee scene in the US, and have had so for quite a few years now, but my experience of US coffee predates this. Things may have improved allround for all I know, but at the time I realised why diners offered 'bottomless' cups of coffee after the first sip.
Not saying the UK is/was any better mind you.
Wish you hadn't mentioned Dunkin doughnuts, because I've got a craving for a Jelly now.

Randomnerd

Bimbleur
So don’t want to get sucked into this thread.
It feels inevitable, like a nerd tsunami we cannot escape.
Soon, I’ll be on Insta doing vids of my coffee colour checked with a spectrometer to find the perfect brown ( I ship you not, it’s probs already happening)
Handful of beans to a pint of water here, through a mesh filter. Not brown at all. A nice shade of black. Monsoon Malabar beans from Coffee Direct. My only vice ATM.
Gets me going from 7 till 3. If I’m not finished by then, I need another one.
The only lesson I ever took was from the owner of the chalet park in the film Betty Blue (1985). “Always moisten the grounds”.

SheilaH

So don’t want to get sucked into this thread.
It feels inevitable, like a nerd tsunami we cannot escape.
Soon, I’ll be on Insta doing vids of my coffee colour checked with a spectrometer to find the perfect brown ( I ship you not, it’s probs already happening)
Handful of beans to a pint of water here, through a mesh filter. Not brown at all. A nice shade of black. Monsoon Malabar beans from Coffee Direct. My only vice ATM.
Gets me going from 7 till 3. If I’m not finished by then, I need another one.
The only lesson I ever took was from the owner of the chalet park in the film Betty Blue (1985). “Always moisten the grounds”.

It won't be a spectrometer. It'll be a TDS refractometer and yes, it's already happening...:laugh::laugh:

View: https://youtu.be/1tnaGWbteyk

Reactions: mjr
Top Bottom