Any coffee/espresso nerds on here?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Salty seadog

Space Cadet...(3rd Class...)
A bit too much faffing around for my liking...

View: https://youtu.be/J3UQmKiVH9E

I’ve been using a DeLonghi Bean to Cup machine for the last 8 or 9 years which is great, but I’m currently downstairs watching the Test Match live in India at 0445 in the morning, gagging for a coffee I can’t have because the grinder on the machine is so noisy it’ll wake the whole house. :cry:

Never had you down as a cricket fan. :laugh:

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
View attachment 572990

The handle fell off! :cry: I've only had it 30years. :cry: I don't know, Italian engineering...
It looks like a Bailetti. Don't despair, they do a wide range of replacement parts. There are generic replacement bits available on Ebay too. Just Google "Bailetti replacement handle" .

Juan Kog

permanently grumpy
As I have the attention of the coffee connoisseurs . I’m looking to buy a manual grinder ( there’s to many electric gadgets on worktop already) .currently using a blade grinder , I know don’t all shout at me . I use a moka pot or cafetière . Thoughts recommendations advise all welcome.

Randomnerd

Bimbleur
As I have the attention of the coffee connoisseurs . I’m looking to buy a manual grinder ( there’s to many electric gadgets on worktop already) .currently using a blade grinder , I know don’t all shout at me . I use a moka pot or cafetière . Thoughts recommendations advise all welcome.
I have had a Zassenhaus grinder for thirty years, but I am not a coffee connoisseur. So far as I can tell, it does a fine job and is completely analogue. I’ve seen Hario Skelton offered as a good alternative.
Get ready for a tsunami of opinion. Coffee Geek City is thronged with subtle difference. :hello:

SheilaH

I can't offer a recommendation because I know nothing about hand grinders. What I can tell you is that you will need something that can operate at opposite ends of the grind spectrum. Cafetiere requires a coarse grind, moka needs a superfine grind.

You could try coffeeforums.co.uk if you want to geek out.

Just be careful though, because before you know it, they will have persuaded you to spend £3500 on an espresso machine, £6000 on three different grinders (because you actually need three), and about £800 on other paraphenalia, and in the process lost your wife, home, kids and job, as well as almost all of your friends, who are sick of hearing about your w@anky coffee adventures.

But on the plus side, you will feel like this, every morning...

coffee.jpg

Juan Kog

permanently grumpy
Thanks all. When I have checked online, reviewers have complained that some hand grinders struggle with a consistent fine espresso grind . A good cup of coffee is important but not enough to spend the price of a professional quality bike on the process.

Joey Shabadoo

My pronouns are "He", "Him" and "buggerlugs"
Thanks all. When I have checked online, reviewers have complained that some hand grinders struggle with a consistent fine espresso grind . A good cup of coffee is important but not enough to spend the price of a professional quality bike on the process.
I imagine there's a coffee forum somewhere and people are talking about bikes.

"A good bike is important but not enough to spend the price of a professional quality espresso grinder on."

^_^

Yeah. Coffee nerds and Hifi nerds take it to a whole new level.

OP
OP
Fab Foodie

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
My Coffee-geek friend recommends this, quite pricey, but undeniably beautiful:
https://knowyourgrinder.com/rok-coffee-grinder-review/
But will take-up some space and for the same proice and space you can buy a Iberital or similar leccy job.

I have a Porlex mini which is great for travelling with my Aeropress, but takes a few minutes exercise to make a nice espresso grind. It's very easy to adjust as well.
https://www.hasbean.co.uk/collections/porlex

OP
OP
Fab Foodie

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
The Porlex is very quick to adjust from Cafitiere to Espresso and won't break the bank - it makes an evenly and fine ground powder.

Nespresso for us - virtually instant, hassle-free, no cleaning etc etc . a range of different coffee and takes up minimal space.

And very cheap - once you have a machine, replacements come virtually free from Nespresso - either order a load of capsules for big discount or take out a subscription and get a machine for £1!

Every time we order we get next day delivery and Nespresso collect our used capsules for recycling.
er yes but how much is the coffee?

Being the good accountant that I am, I decided on a pod machine as I only have one coffee per day (albeit a "double pod") so the cheap machine was appealing

Fast forward 6 years and I seem to have spent about £900
You mean you really didn't see that coming?

Top Bottom