Any exciting cycling plans for 2020?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
I would love to take my bike to France next year, specifically around my home town of Orleans and retrace my childhood steps in Sandillon, Tigy, Jargeau, Sully sur Loire, all those places I used to go to with my parents. I could stay with any of my four brothers there and it would be a very sentimental jpurney.

Slick

Guru
Funny you say that as that's exactly what my brother and I are planning for next year, except the destination is a bit more domestic.

Still looking forward to it though.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
I want to ride the Channel to the Med but I'm not sure Mrs P will agree. Failing this I have friends who live close to Arreau in the Pyrenees and I will head down to them for a week.

A small group from my club, all retired, keep talking about UK tours but pinning them down to dates is difficult.

My club is doing a there and back Coast to Coast - I might have a crack at that.

I’m doing a week long trip from Bulle in Switzerland, through France, and back to Blighty, in June. I think the route is about 700 miles.

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
I think I might go back to Scotland and do some touring / bike packing on the East Side.

I've done a fair amount on the West Side and Islands.

But the Cairngorms are calling, I like hiking there, so sure biking will be fun too.

Maybe claim asylum, while I'm there :rolleyes:

Bonus

Veteran
As you can imagine, living here in the Pyrenees we see many people "touring" and I chat to lots of them on days when I'm working at the local campsite. Trips vary in length from keeping it local and using here as a base, to "riding for a month" from the Med to the Atlantic.

Different people, different ages and from different countries - the one thing they all have in common is they are happy!

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
As you can imagine, living here in the Pyrenees we see many people "touring" and I chat to lots of them on days when I'm working at the local campsite. Trips vary in length from keeping it local and using here as a base, to "riding for a month" from the Med to the Atlantic.

Different people, different ages and from different countries - the one thing they all have in common is they are happy!

I cycled with a German guy for a couple of days, who I met further west on the Spanish coast.

He'd been rather daunted by the trans Pyrenean cycle route.

By the time he got to Cantabria, he was hugging the coast (not lacking in hills neither)

I adore hiking in the high Pyrenees, but tbh when we're bussing or hitching back down from there, some of the roads look a little daunting in terms of narrowness, gradient, and traffic, for enjoyable biking.

But I s'pose cycling on the smaller roads would be diffent again.. Ive certainly found Spanish drivers massively more courteous to cyclists, compared to their UK counterparts.

Maybe I'll give Pyrenean cyclisme a go some time..
So many options :okay:

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Starting on 1st of Jan with a Cyclechat forum ride around Manchester. Attempting LEJoG a few months later so need to keep an eye on my condition through the winter months to make sure I arrive at the Lands End start line suitably prepared.
Other than those 2 things that are already booked I will probably manage to squeeze in a few of the usual cycling silliness events that make up the year. Either of @nickyboy's Llandudno or Scarborough trips if he does them this year? Hopefully a couple of MTB weekends away with @fossyant and 'The Boys'. Depending on my shift pattern I like to do one of the Bike Events Manchester rides, either M/cr to Blackpool (which I will do there & back if alone) or the M/cr 100. I have missed these for the last couple of times :sad:
I would also like to repeat my late season cycling/camping long weekend, but given the other stuff I am already committed to it probably won't be possible. A shame because I really, really enjoyed it.
Finally, we often take a foreign family holiday and I usually manage to sneak in a bit of cycling with this (165 miles of mountain biking in Fuerteventura in 2019 and 100 miles in the Alps from Morzine the year before, Not bad considering these are family holidays and not cycling expeditions.... :laugh:). Nothing booked for 2020 yet so this might be one of the years we stay in the UK?
Apart from all of the above there will be my commuting, which can be fairly exciting at times and is never really a chore, so 2020 looks promising already.

Top Bottom