Any exciting cycling plans for 2020?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

chriswoody

Legendary Member
Still looking at a few options at the moment, but basically, I've 5 days in the early summer for a trip. I'm looking at an off-road bike packing trip in the Alps or the Slovenian Alps. However, I also came across a route in Central Italy called the Wolfs Lair, that looks extremely tempting. Just getting to the start though is a problem, it's over 1600km from where I live. Decisions, decisions...

Trip to Belgium booked for May.
Hopefully do the Romantic Road in Germany, which for one reason or another has been cancelled several years on the trot.
To Chioggia (south of Venice) in the summer, which got cancelled for family reasons last summer.

I want to ride the Channel to the Med but I'm not sure Mrs P will agree.

This sort of thing crops up a fair bit on here from male members.
Can't help but ask paulsb how she could object unless there is some over-riding family issue or folk with health issues.

oldwheels

Legendary Member
Having sold my motorhome I am looking out for a small trailer tent where I can take my trike in the car safely and do a bit of exploring on the east coast of Scotland which ( I shouldn’t say this ) is not yet suffering from overtourism. The Brompton goes as well of course for areas which I do not deem safe for the trike.
As an aside there seem to be plenty suitable t/tents but all around Manchester where I am not prepared to go.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
Can't help but ask paulsb how she could object unless there is some over-riding family issue or folk with health issues.

I had a heart attack four years ago but that doesn't really come in to the equation. However in January I suffered a subarachnoid haemorrhage which is basically a bleed on the brain caused by an aneurysm which burst. 70% don't survive and of those who do the recovery time is 18 months. I've been extraordinarily fortunate as I was riding again in four months. Every medical professional I've seen has described my 100% recovery as remarkable.

Not surprisingly Mrs P prefers me to ride with company. It's not what I'd be doing, it's the solo bit which is the issue.

I'm currently looking for a companion.

Did half the route five years ago but had to divert in the Dordogne to Bordeaux. I was going to miss my deadline for getting to Nice. I had a day when I could only manage 40 miles and it blew my schedule away.

As an observation cyclists underlying fitness is enormously important as an aid to surviving serious health issues.

Thanks for your reply Paul.

All the best to you and yours.

Clearly my SWMBO concerns were groundless.

edit - I may be up for accompanying you sometime if I get my act together.

Jody

Stubborn git
I'm looking to do my fist solo ride (of any distance) having never done any touring, . Coast to coast but via the TPT from Liverpool to Hornsea then up to Scarborough.

Might not be such a big adventure to those who do this more often but I'll be super chuffed if I do it.

Other than that and if the stars align, I'd like to join one of the century group rides planned by fellow CCers

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine

'Male Members' :whistle:

SWMBO ??

Whereas of course the women folk here, and elsewhere, get to skip off on trips of their choosing, at a moments notice, without so much as a backward glance ??

Ime, its the guys who are far better at establishing, and maintaining the ring fence of their leisure time, and money..

You often hear of the subterfuge surrounding 'clandestine' parcels of kit, or talk of getting a 'weekend pass' as if these poor boys are play acting some sort of 'domestic imprisonment' or as if they are partnered against their will..

Whereas in truth, it's often the case, that at least one day of the weekend is for 'going out with the guys' to 'decompress' or whatever.

Or they'll set themselves 'impressive' missions to cycle from here to there, while the womenfolk stay home, do all the domestic admin, and are required to cheer admiringly from the sidelines.

I still encounter many a raised eyebrow, when I set off on a trip by myself, even when I've carefully put all the farm care, and other things which are my responsibility, in place.

It took me years to train myself out of feeling guilty, for taking what amounted to my fair share of time, and resources, to do my thing.

Most women I know - even in my relatively enlightened circle still can't bring themselves to do it to the full.

There's nearly always someone else's needs, or other project that has to come first.

Or they're too nervous to give it a go, having got out of, or never have been in, the habit of going adventuring by themselves .

Although I'm pleased to say that a few have gone done stuff, just for themselves, and they have explicitly cited my example as inspiration..

Hooray for that !!! :bicycle: :bicycle: :bicycle:

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
I had a heart attack four years ago but that doesn't really come in to the equation. However in January I suffered a subarachnoid haemorrhage which is basically a bleed on the brain caused by an aneurysm which burst. 70% don't survive and of those who do the recovery time is 18 months. I've been extraordinarily fortunate as I was riding again in four months. Every medical professional I've seen has described my 100% recovery as remarkable.

Not surprisingly Mrs P prefers me to ride with company. It's not what I'd be doing, it's the solo bit which is the issue.

I'm currently looking for a companion.

Did half the route five years ago but had to divert in the Dordogne to Bordeaux. I was going to miss my deadline for getting to Nice. I had a day when I could only manage 40 miles and it blew my schedule away.

As an observation cyclists underlying fitness is enormously important as an aid to surviving serious health issues.

Good on you for your quick recovery.
I've had a few medical incidents where fitness was cited as being a big part of speedy rehab.

Also good luck on finding a suitable touting partner.

As you can see from above I'm a mardy individual who would make a very poor companion, but have fun anyhow :rolleyes:
I'm looking to do my fist solo ride (of any distance) having never done any touring, . Coast to coast but via the TPT from Liverpool to Hornsea then up to Scarborough.

Might not be such a big adventure to those who do this more often but I'll be super chuffed if I do it.

Other than that and if the stars align, I'd like to join one of the century group rides planned by fellow CCers

Go for it, you only have to do it for the first time once, then it becomes easier each time :okay:

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
Only one firm commitment so far. Harwich to Vlissingen ferry and then cycle along the coast of the Netherlands across the dike and on to my son in Groningen. Not sure whether to leave the bike there or bring it back.

I'll probably travel alone, cos I meet more people that way. 😁

No other plans so far, although the Waveney Valley appeals.

This is one reason of many, I prefer to tour alone, you get to be the 'just you yourself' individual, don't have to reference anyone else's needs, you can change plans at a moments notice, sing off key, and talk (or not) to as many 'strange' people as you like. :rolleyes:

I've had some experiences that would never have happened if I'd been with someone else..

Not all of them brilliant, but definitely all memorable :okay:

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
I'm comfortable with the idea but its the doubts others are putting in my mind. Anyone would have thought I was planning a solo trip across Mongolia :rolleyes:

Who are these people, and what are these doubts?

First off check their agenda for this 'doubt' insertion?

Jealous that you've got the 'spunk' to do it, and they haven't?

They're feared that once you've done it once - you will keep doing it ?- this is a real risk btw - and hurrah for that :okay:

Worried that they will have to shoulder some of the responsibilities, that you've been carrying up til now.

Or genuinely concerned for your wellbeing - this isn't as you say Outer Mongolia - although people cycle there too - and live to tell the tale , as well.

If you fall off your bike anywhere, someone will scoop you up , and help.
unrepairable roadside breakdown ditto.

You have funds for emergency accomodation, and emergency transport - and a phone to call for help ..

You are used to going about your day to day business unaccompanied, and haven't as of yet, been eaten by the big bad wolf ?
This record is likely to continue - so long as you stay out of genuine wolf (or bear ) country.

Life is horribly short - ignore the naysayers - just go out there and do it!!

@Jody i'm sure you don't need it for encouragement but perhaps a link to a trip by a very ordinary person, on a very ordinary bicycle, here who survived to tell the tale might help :smile:

I must get round to writing up more trips i deffo need to spend less time on here - and more time doing that methinks ..

I usually find its my own pre-trip nerves that trip me up the most - but then i tell myself its not nerves its excitement

Last edited:
Top Bottom