Any exciting cycling plans for 2020?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Fiona R

Formerly known as Cranky Knee Girl
Only one firm commitment so far. Harwich to Vlissingen ferry and then cycle along the coast of the Netherlands across the dike and on to my son in Groningen. Not sure whether to leave the bike there or bring it back.

I'll probably travel alone, cos I meet more people that way. šŸ˜
Still one of my plans, didn't do it in the 6 years my daughter was living in Groningen, but may have to combine when they are back "home" visiting her in laws.

Fiona R

Formerly known as Cranky Knee Girl
@Jody i'm sure you don't need it for encouragement but perhaps a link to a trip by a very ordinary person, on a very ordinary bicycle, here who survived to tell the tale might help :smile:

I must get round to writing up more trips i deffo need to spend less time on here - and more time doing that methinks ..

I usually find its my own pre-trip nerves that trip me up the most - but then i tell myself its not nerves its excitement
Still reading, fantastic write up, I love your writing style. as for the "you're so good" comments, I giggle when people say that to me, if only they knew my inner thoughts :laugh:

I MUST get back to my write up, I ache whenever I think about our island trips, Fionnphort to Calgary Bay the next day I haven't written up yet. We couldn't make Ulva work so will have to go back AGAIN, shame!! ^_^

I'm told it can be tough across the dike depending on the wind direction!
I wouldn't know but if it's anything like the Fens - shudder.
I still tremble at the memory of pedalling into a headwind from a campsite near Kings Lynn to catch a timed train at Peterborough. Luckily I had allowed lots and lots of extra time. Have since checked the prevailing wind direction in those parts and discovered my experience was normal.
Would always do in future if heading across flatlands.

I wouldn't know but if it's anything like the Fens - shudder.
I still tremble at the memory of pedalling into a headwind from a campsite near Kings Lynn to catch a timed train at Peterborough. Luckily I had allowed lots and lots of extra time. Have since checked the prevailing wind direction in those parts and discovered my experience was normal.
Would always do in future if heading across flatlands.

Remember doing 8mph into a fen wind and with the same effort, 27mph with it behind me!

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
That is one fantastic write up! Well done!

@Jody
Fear can be such an irrational thing that it can be very hard to argue logically against.

Perhaps encourage your partner to read some journals on CrazyGuyOnABike to get some perspective on bike touring, who does it, where and when.

Good luck!

Thanks @HobbesOnTour i appreciate the appreciation... :okay:

Yes touring, is just riding a bicycle for a series of days, or weeks or even months (if we're incredibly lucky) .. You only have to cope with each minute / mile / day / night / week as it comes.

I do still sometimes feel all types of fear, when venturing out into the unknown, or in a tent alone, in a strange place, in the dark with all the weird noises around.

But even that fearfulness becomes interesting if you can observe it objectively.

It's part of the travelling familiarisation - "Oh yeah, this is the bit when I wake up at 4 am and give myself the collywobbles with my overactive imagination.." :rolleyes:

After a while you can meet yourself on the way to being frit, and choose not to let it overwhelm you.

Still reading, fantastic write up, I love your writing style. as for the "you're so good" comments, I giggle when people say that to me, if only they knew my inner thoughts :laugh:

I MUST get back to my write up, I ache whenever I think about our island trips, Fionnphort to Calgary Bay the next day I haven't written up yet. We couldn't make Ulva work so will have to go back AGAIN, shame!! ^_^

Thanks :okay: I enjoy writing up trips too, for some reason I feel its an over indulgent use of my time.. What nonsense I know :shy:

if other ppl enjoy reading it too then double the pleasure..
Yes definitely go back to Ulva, I would, I didn't explore it enough.

I believe they're doing one of those community buy-outs of the island, so it would be interesting to see how it's changed in the meantime.

Well, to add to the thread, all going well I'll be starting the new year in Mexico and hope to be closing it out somewhere further south. :blush:

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
Following on from @mudsticks and a comment for @Jody . I like my tours to include a small fear factor, something that takes me outside of my comfort zone.

Nothing extreme just enough to add a little extra spice or excitement to each day.

I regularly manage to make things more 'interesting' by not paying enough attention to the map.
Having all the camping gear on board is reassuring in those instances :rolleyes:

After 4 years of injury and illness when annual distance have dropped from 6000+ in 2015 to <100 this year, getting on the bike and riding at all would be quite exciting.

Best of luck with upping the mileage in 2020 :okay:

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
After 4 years of injury and illness when annual distance have dropped from 6000+ in 2015 to <100 this year, getting on the bike and riding at all would be quite exciting.
Sorry to hear that. Hoping you are back on the bike and getting some miles in sooner rather than later.

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine

When i was trawling the archive for my "Oh so witty" Baby Cheeses seasonal avatar :rolleyes: (its an old un but i still like it) i came across this pic from a northern tour i did back in 2015.

Carlisle to Malham, then over the Dales to Wensleydale, down east to Ummm - Richmond would it be ?? then across the Vale of York, then across to Whitby by the more northerly edge of the NYM, back across the moorland tops to Pickering, and then back to York over the Wolds .

Can't remember how many days - six maybe - but it was a nice route.

Both ends of route accessed by train.

The only bit i'd change is that i'd hug the coast south from Whitby, rather than go over the bleak tops - but for some reason at the time i had an urge to see Fylingdale again - a childhood landmark..

Anyhoo the picture shows the tealight i often take, to bring 'living flame' warmth on darker evenings - it weighs near to nothing - and its much jollier than just a head-torch - plus it does conceivably provide actual warmth in the porch of a smallish shelter - maybe .

It also reminds me that i want to get a clik-stand - as recommended by someone on here - for ease of loading and unloading panniers - but also to do away with that rather forlorn 'dead bicycle' look in pictures :sad:

Top Bottom