Any exciting cycling plans for 2020?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

lazytyke

Guru
Setting aside three weeks or so in May, probably head off with the tent. Looking for inspiration and a partner in crime ! Maybe a train into Europe somewhere and cycle back ?

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
I wouldn't know but if it's anything like the Fens - shudder.
I still tremble at the memory of pedalling into a headwind from a campsite near Kings Lynn to catch a timed train at Peterborough. Luckily I had allowed lots and lots of extra time. Have since checked the prevailing wind direction in those parts and discovered my experience was normal.
Would always do in future if heading across flatlands.
Not exactly normal. I think normal is checking the wind direction before riding out onto the fens and accepting that sometimes it's a choice between tacking or grinding.

Not exactly normal. I think normal is checking the wind direction before riding out onto the fens and accepting that sometimes it's a choice between tacking or grinding.
I didn't have any choice about which day to be done. Thanks to the road pattern in that bit of the fens I was tacking anyway - but seem to remember that the "relief" (ie being blasted by a side-wind) was when I was compass pointing away from Peterborough - when, I turned towards pointing at Peterborough it got far far worse.
From later research I had the impression that the most common (tho obs not all the time) was from the southwest.

Last edited:
I think just to start riding again would be a good start, will go from there

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
Targetting the Wild Atlantic Way Audax in June 2020. 9 days 4 hours to cover 2,200km. Basically the entire West coast of Ireland taking in Mzien and Malin head on the way, Works out at 240km a day average. So a decent challenge but should be able to do it entirely in daylight if I get going early enough each morning.

That sounds like a nice civilised three week tour at my kind of pace - will put it in the data base :okay:

Top Bottom