Any exciting cycling plans for 2020?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
That sounds like a nice civilised three week tour at my kind of pace - will put it in the data base :okay:
? 240 km a day for almost ten days sounds pretty challenging to me.

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
Starts Kinsale which is 20km from Cork and finishes in Londonderry. You can get to the start and back from finish via train and ferry. Drop me a PM if you'd like a GPX.

Thank you, sounds fantastic..

I love the West of Ireland, (and the Irish, as it happens) but I've never got as far North as Derry / Londonderry.

Now to find the time.. :whistle:

Indeed , it is what I love about Audax / brevets. Enabling ordinary cyclists like me, to attempt to achieve extraordinary things, that'll stay with us the rest of our days.
Which could be as long as the following monday.
Alologies, wary of extreme audax, have known a few adauxers who seemed to run on a mixture i always suspected was composed, if analysed, of a mix of scientology and strange drugs.
Respect to you though.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
100+ km a day would still be a decent effort, but would allow a more relaxing pace so you could actually take in and enjoy the surroundings!

The pace is pretty much the same as 100km a day, it's just that you spend longer riding each day. Ok, probably a bit quicker as you have the bike lightly loaded. Admittedly you don't do long stops during the day, but you still have sit down breakfasts, lunches , evening meals etc. It can be described as a fast / compact tour.

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
100+ km a day would still be a decent effort, but would allow a more relaxing pace so you could actually take in and enjoy the surroundings!

Taking in the surroundings, and local hospitality, having time for diversions, and so forth is one of the main joys of touring fo me, its strenuous, and memorable enough, as it is.

Combined with that little frisson of 'will I find a flat/ secluded enough spot for my tent?'

What I do for most of my holidays - I go multiday mountainous backpacking for fun too - would probs seen as fairly energetic by most folks anyhow.

Combine all that, with my two pretty physical day, and evening jobs, and I don't feel like I'm due to be chucked in the box marked 'slacker' any time soon,

Even without doing 240km per day on my bike :angel:

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
Indeed , it is what I love about Audax / brevets. Enabling ordinary cyclists like me, to attempt to achieve extraordinary things, that'll stay with us the rest of our days. Because it's an event, the extraordinary things are shared with others.

I'm not saying I never would, but there's something about organised events of this sort that I find really off putting.

I wasn't one for team sports at school either. I always found all those scarey girls running around with hockey sticks rather terrifying.

I still get astonished reactions from some folks when I don't even know exactly how far I've been (!!) on a tour - I mean - who cares really??

I wasn't one for team sports at school either. I always found all those scarey girls running around with hockey sticks rather terrifying.
Not exactly terrifying but i understand - well remember as a pretty young scout taking part in a meet with local guides for some form of indoor hockey. We of course had never played anything like it so at a disadvantage from the start. Can't remember any results ,(we probably lost) but what I do remember is the sheer savagery and disregard for what I would like to think were rules.I like women, but probably had few illusions about women and mythmaking since.

More girl guide stories available.

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
Not exactly terrifying but i understand - well remember as a pretty young scout taking part in a meet with local guides for some form of indoor hockey. We of course had never played anything like it so at a disadvantage from the start. Can't remember any results ,(we probably lost) but what I do remember is the sheer savagery and disregard for what I would like to think were rules.I like women, but probably had few illusions about women and mythmaking since.

More girl guide stories available.

Who makes the myths though ?

Most of the very questionable myths of women, and their supposed attributes, and roles, are told by men, about women.

Most of us, if we have the choice (and sadly few still really do) would prefer to go about our business, pursue our passions, live our lives as human beans, variously flawed, variously brilliant, and any other variability in between generally.

But I don't think it's a myth, to say we generally have a lesser tendency towards violence, towards each other, in all its forms.

That's not anecdotal, its provable statistics wise.

So it always seems a shame, bordering on injustice to me, that we as women, are the ones who are advised to stay home 'out of harms way' whilst the chaps go about having unfettered fun.

Sure the 'girl guide' stories will go down a storm.. In some circles :okay:

The myths are told by both men and women for various reasons.

My main supplementary girl guide story is not at all salacious (sorry to disappoint you) but linked to the subject of aggression for sure. Didn't involve me. Another thread though.

Top Bottom