Any exciting cycling plans for 2020?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
This links to a thread I started a while ago looking for information regarding the Caledonian canal.

This Xmas I received a return ticket on the Caledonian sleeper train (something I’ve wanted to travel on for years) so the travel part of the trip is now sorted, I can now start planning the ride. Very excited as it’s somewhere I’ve thought about for a long time. Now to avoid the midges :laugh:

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
As I’m an out of shape 54 year, old my goals for 2020 are to get a level of fitness where I can do a 100 mile ride with my 14 year old son. We regularly do 25 - 30 miles fairly comfortably, so the next goal is 50 miles then 75 and then 100. I’m lucky that I’m in pretty good shape, my BMI is healthy and weight is Ok, I just need to work on my fitness. I’ll let you know how I get on!
Good luck with that. If you succeed, there will be a period of about a week where you might be able to keep up with him and after that he will leave you in his dust! :okay:

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Not necessarily. My brothers 16 year old still had a bit of work to do before leaving us in his wake. :okay:
It is only a matter of time though, isn't it!

My biggest regret is spending my potentially best 20 cycling years not riding, and not taking my first 10 years back on the bike seriously enough. By the time I got more into it I was already well into my 40s.

As for exciting cycling plans for next year... I don't have any other than to keep churning out the forum rides. I enjoy them, but maybe 'interesting' is the word that I would use rather than 'exciting'...

If my financial situation improves enough for me to be able to take my bike somewhere interesting, then I will!

Slick

Guru

My biggest regret is spending my potentially best 20 cycling years not riding, and not taking my first 10 years back on the bike seriously enough. By the time I got more into it I was already well into my 40s.

As for exciting cycling plans for next year... I don't have any other than to keep churning out the forum rides. I enjoy them, but maybe 'interesting' is the word that I would use rather than 'exciting'...

If my financial situation improves enough for me to be able to take my bike somewhere interesting, then I will!
Definitely only a matter of time, but he's up against a couple of scrappers who won't make it easy for him. ^_^

Slick

Guru

I know what you mean though as I wasted my youthful exuberance on work............what a waste. :sad:

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
Not so much exciting... I'll leave that for holiday times.

But I'm seriously considering a cargo e'bike.

There are times when I need to do smaller veg deliveries, or get to yoga classes with all the kit.

In the hilly Devon countryside the thought of those five miles or so, fully laden is just too much.

But with a battery for extra oompfh, it could just make the difference.

Even wondering if we could become a one vehicle household that way. :smile:

Vantage

Carbon fibre... LMAO!!!
I'm comfortable with the idea but its the doubts others are putting in my mind. Anyone would have thought I was planning a solo trip across Mongolia :rolleyes:

I had the same experience from caring family when I told them my plans for touring. By the time I got round to setting off on my first planned tour the doubts in my own mind were there. A few mishaps on that first ride pretty much beat me and I threw in the towel.
It took a stroke a couple years later to make me realise that time was precious and exactly a year after that, having upgraded most of my stuff I got away for 2 nights. Loved it.
I've had a couple overnighters since and like yourself am planning on doing the C2C later in the year as my first multi day tour.
Life's too short to waste on stupid things.

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
The Fragrant MrsP has proposed a small adventure for us to do in September, that is to ride from South Oxfordcestershirey to that Disney Land in Paris, where she wants to take part in the RunDisney event ( 5K, 10K and a half marathon, she likes the medals) then ride back. Very much in the early stages of planning, but knowing her it’s likely to happen.

Last edited:

Donger

Convoi Exceptionnel
No foreign trips planned this year. Thought I'd start off on a long term plan to cycle the whole of the South coast instead. A couple of short stays with friends and family in Falmouth and Exmouth, and a week-long holiday in Kent/E.Sussex should start me off nicely. Other than that, will probably do a few day trips down to the South coast to get a few other short stretches of coastline done. No rush with this one. May take a couple of years to finish it ..... among other challenges.

Top Bottom