Any exciting cycling plans for 2020?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
I'm comfortable with the idea but its the doubts others are putting in my mind. Anyone would have thought I was planning a solo trip across Mongolia :rolleyes:

My first solo tour was the C2C - Whitehaven to Sunderland. It was a huge adventure. Go for it. You will not regret your decision. I'd suggest three days is about right.

Jody

Stubborn git
Who are these people, and what are these doubts?

@Jody i'm sure you don't need it for encouragement but perhaps a link to a trip by a very ordinary person, on a very ordinary bicycle, here who survived to tell the tale might help :smile:

Without wanting to derail the thread, the doubts lie with my partner and parents. My partner is a risk overse, parents less so but they still worry. There is no jealousy that I would be doing something like this as it isn't her thing, but it's the usual 'what if' scenarios, which have the added multiplier of being alone. They don't doubt I'll have a go or even complete it but would worry.

As you say, I will have a phone/money and would be no more than 3 hours car journey from home. Sometimes sh*t happens, so you just have to deal with it.

Jody

Stubborn git
My first solo tour was the C2C - Whitehaven to Sunderland. It was a huge adventure. Go for it. You will not regret your decision. I'd suggest three days is about right.

Three days was my aim but not including the ride from Hornsea to Scarborough. I've just got to make it happen now

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
Without wanting to derail the thread, the doubts lie with my partner and parents. My partner is a risk overse, parents less so but they still worry. There is no jealousy that I would be doing something like this as it isn't her thing, but it's the usual 'what if' scenarios, which have the added multiplier of being alone. They don't doubt I'll have a go or even complete it but would worry.

As you say, I will have a phone/money and would be no more than 3 hours car journey from home. Sometimes sh*t happens, so you just have to deal with it.

Well once you've done it once, and made sure you've made it home in one piece (best do that :whistle:) then you've proven your qualification to be out thereby yourself.

Fear is definitely infectious though - However I'd concentrate on the real existential one -

" What if i die - having never having got around to doing this stuff ?? "

Which is the one I'm trying to use, to kick myself up the @rse over other projects right now .. :angel:

Jody

Stubborn git
" What if i die - having never having got around to doing this stuff ?? "

I'm starting to know that feeling. It was my 40th last January so I've had that thought a few times this year. It's no different to last year but it certainly makes you think how fast all this is going by.

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
You try being 51 then.

Although I was having a long lunch, with a newly acquired friend, on that very birthday, three days into my two week trip across Northern Spain, in October.. :bicycle:

Fiona R

Formerly known as Cranky Knee Girl
I'm starting to know that feeling. It was my 40th last January so I've had that thought a few times this year. It's no different to last year but it certainly makes you think how fast all this is going by.
You try being 51 then.
Only 40 and 51 ...if only :whistle:
I keep doing things, luckily my OH doesn't tie me down and we are both free from dependent children/our own business and just work for others now. The latest "solo idea" he hardly batted an eyelid....perhaps he doesn't care :blink: Haven't even started planning the joint tour/s for next year yet. Still the problem is always too many ideas and not enough time.

He has had the serious health scenarios similar to @PaulSB , we were told he did so well because he was relatively pretty fit for age. I get where Mrs PSB is coming from, I worry but we get on with it, although luckily it's me that wants to do silly things, he'd rather play golf :wacko:

Simon_m

Guru
I want to ride the Channel to the Med but I'm not sure Mrs P will agree. Failing this I have friends who live close to Arreau in the Pyrenees and I will head down to them for a week.

A small group from my club, all retired, keep talking about UK tours but pinning them down to dates is difficult.

My club is doing a there and back Coast to Coast - I might have a crack at that.

There are lots of different routes available online down through France. I usually plan my own to see the sights I want to check out along the way. Hope you get to do it as it is a real adventure.

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
Not majorly ambitious in cycling terms, but the Semaine Federale is in Normandy next year. A friend from there has a house booked for accommodation, so we'll ride over and enjoy the food, wine, good company, and even some cycling.

Then I'm wondering whether I can persuade a friend to do the Raid Corse.

person, on a very ordinary bicycle, here who survived to tell the tale might help :smile:

That is one fantastic write up! Well done!

@Jody
Fear can be such an irrational thing that it can be very hard to argue logically against.

Perhaps encourage your partner to read some journals on CrazyGuyOnABike to get some perspective on bike touring, who does it, where and when.

Good luck!

Top Bottom