Any fellow modellers on here?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Tonight's purchase:
$_57.JPG

And today's delivery in the mail:
$_57.JPG

gbb

Legendary Member
Airfix kits, as a young teenager, made em, then shot em up with an airrifle...I could pick off the pilot over the length of our garden :hyper:. Ironically airfix kits are sneered at in some circles, some of the Japanese kits were /are far superior.
Progressed onto gliders, kits at first then i started buying plans the size of your whole dinner table. Every spar and beam etc had to be drawn and cut by hand then pin, glue and assemble directly onto the plan. Tissue paper (cant remember exactly what it was called) was then laid and doped onto the aircraft skeleton. One of those, perhaps 3 ft wingspan would take maybe 2 weeks to build. I got one particular one for my 15th birthday...spent aboit a fortnight building it...maiden flight, it went skyward....and kept going, and going and going. I ran for miles trying to follow it and of course lost it on its first flight.
My biggest was a competition freeflight glider, 6ft wingspan with a built in timer that'd flip the tailplane, stall it and bring it safely down to earth. 20 lb fishing line to launch it, the line would strain while it shot up incredibly quickly. Awesome glider.
Tinkered with Taifun and BG engines...many a rapped knuckle on those plastic propellers.

Awesome times as a kid....^_^

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
I wouldn't embarrass myself :blush:

I got a starter kit for Christmas and just learning - making loads of mistakes and having to amend as I go. My sausage fingers, failing eyesight and the nobbery "ambient" lighting don't fecking help!

I was in a modelling club in my early teens. Loved these kits.
May get a couple myself and have a go.

I was in a modelling club in my early teens. Loved these kits.
May get a couple myself and have a go.

I spotted Aldi were selling starter kits with glue/paints for a fiver just before Christmas and said "ooh, I used to love Airfix" to my elder daughter - and Santa somehow found out about this...

I have started on the Aldi-bought model and made a load of mistakes (e.g. painting before assembling - I had thought it made sense to paint before assembling but as per previous comments in this thread it does not always work due to joining up bits/continuity) but enjoyed the memories it brought back as well as the opportunity to do something "constructive" as I am not very good with my hands but can just about follow instructions. I envisage my fingers will be glued together, I'll stand on something that is the last piece I need to complete a model, get completely píssed off, and find people looking at my hair cos I have a spitfire cockpit stuck in it.

I had a look on ebay and have managed to pick up some bargains so now have a few models either delivered or on their way. I also ordered a magnifier, some tweezers and files to rub down the rough bits. I never bothered with shite like that when I was 8!!

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
I had a look on ebay and have managed to pick up some bargains so now have a few models either delivered or on their way. I also ordered a magnifier, some tweezers and files to rub down the rough bits. I never bothered with shite like that when I was 8!!

Are you using a liquid solvent applied with a paintbrush to stick the parts together? Get yourself a Swan Morton scalpel and some number 10A blades. You can gently drag the blade backwards over the glued seams to remove any raised plastic leaving far fewer marks than files leave.

Are you using a liquid solvent applied with a paintbrush to stick the parts together? Get yourself a Swan Morton scalpel and some number 10A blades. You can gently drag the blade backwards over the glued seams to remove any raised plastic leaving far fewer marks than files leave.

I will be using whatever came with the model - I got as far as realising that I was making an arse of it and needed a few tweezers and files.

I'll build it up - or get bored or frustrated and throw them out the window (with cotton wool doused in meths and on fire of course) and see how it goes and then try to learn as I go. I said earlier that I am ok at following instructions and now realise that's a lie; I am awful at working things out and the airplanes will maybe end up looking like trees. Freestyle.

Last edited:

classic33

Leg End Member
The glue supplied with the starter kits is next to useless. Change the first chance you get.
Dogfight doubles in the pictures may have come from Modezone & Toymaster when their stores shut.

At worst, use a sharpened matchstick to apply the glue. Not straight from the tube.

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
I will be using whatever came with the model - I got as far as realising that I was making an arse of it and needed a few tweezers and files.

I'll build it up - or get bored or frustrated and throw them out the window (with cotton wool doused in meths and on fire of course) and see how it goes and then try to learn as I go. I said earlier that I am ok I following instructions and now realise that's a lie; I am awful at working things out and the airplanes will maybe end up looking like trees. Freestyle.

See if you can get some liquid cement and a fine paintbrush. You hold the parts together and run a paintbrush lightly loaded with solvent along/at the joint. Remove the paint brush and blow gently to evaporate any surplus solvent. You'll have a near perfect joint that will need next to no cleaning up and, sets far faster than polystyrene cement.

Trust me, I'm a teacher. :thumbsup:

classic33

Leg End Member
See if you can get some liquid cement and a fine paintbrush. You hold the parts together and run a paintbrush lightly loaded with solvent along/at the joint. Remove the paint brush and blow gently to evaporate any surplus solvent. You'll have a near perfect joint that will need next to no cleaning up and, sets far faster than polystyrene cement.

Trust me, I'm a teacher. :thumbsup:
There's a mis-matching problem on the Mossie fuselage & the Zero the wings require some work to fit.
To much flashing on the parts.

Top Bottom