Any fellow modellers on here?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
PaulB

PaulB

Legendary Member
I liked making Airfix kits for a bit, but mine generally looked a mess... glue everywhere, and for some reason I used to paint them after assembling them, which obv wasn't as good as painting the bits, letting them dry, then putting it all together (I was too impatient for that). I had a great Concorde model, but my mum accidentally sat on it and bust the wing.
Yes, two absolute no-nos BEFORE I got round to it again but now, OVERgluing is encouraged especially on the two halves of the fuselage as then you can sand it down and don't get the seam down the middle. Get it right and this works a treat. Painting the small intricate bits is OK although you do have to over-paint the bits when you cut them off the sprues but it is very much encouraged now that you only paint the whole thing AFTER assembly. If you paint them prior to assembly, you get mis-matches and loads of finger print marks as you glue 'em together. And spray painting gives a lovely, even finish. I completed a Focke Wulf 190 tonight and just love it.

Railway modeller in N gauge here. Don't have a layout yet but do have quite a few buildings to go on it when I get round to it (should be started next month hopefuly).

classic33

Leg End Member
[QUOTE 2441769, member: 9609"]<pedant>I doubt 'Arnolds Sands' had ever heard of a dumpy bag, nor measured anything by the cubic meter </pedant>

One of my plans for my old age is a model railway, would absolutely love one.

The only model stuff I ever had as a child was these monster things that used to glow in the dark. I dread to think what made them glow. Was I being iradiated as I slept? It would sort of fit in with the rest of healthy younger years of heavy smoking and moving asbestos about:crazy:[/quote]
It's a private owner wagon so they can put what they want in them. Cubic yard over cubic metre though. As for the bag itself, at least it wasn't bought ready made, in a packet. Built to order.

Yellow Fang

Legendary Member
I used to have over 100 aircraft models in the loft as a teenager, but they were mostly Matchbox kits, which you didn't have to paint. The Airfix models that I did paint were the ones I kept. These included a Fairey Firefly, a Bristol Fighter, a Supermarine S6b and a Fokker Triplane. The triplane was actually a Revell kit. Until last year I also had a Shorts Sunderland, but an electrician knocked it off the shelf. I recently bought kits for a De Havilland Comet and two German WWI fighters. I attempted to paint the Comet before assembly but I just could not get a very even finish, no matter how many coats I gave it. Then I found I'd lost the perspex cockpit so I threw the kit away. I'll have a go at the Albatross next. Biplanes were always particularly fiddly. I used to build a scaffold with Lego to keep the wings in place while the glue dried. The other biplane has an early camouflage scheme, but it's so complex I doubt I'll be able to paint it.

Shut Up Legs

Down Under Member
I saw the title of this thread, then started having mental flashes of Miranda Kerr. I think I need help...

Leaway2

Lycrist
About 40 years ago I use to build Airfix kits, and Keil Kraft balsa control line aircraft. I had a Frog 1.5cc diesel and a .85 something. We spent hours building and flying (crashing!) them,. Great times. I have built a couple of balsa rubber band powered aircraft recently during the dark winter nights. Asking for balsa model aircraft in the local model shop resulted blank looks. It's mainly trains and large model cars.

Night Train

Maker of Things
One of the things I am modelling at the moment is a working OO scale AEC Matador converted to rail wheels for shunting rail wagons in a scrap metal yard for our proposed layout.

Melonfish

Evil Genius in training.
I'm currently stuck doing a revell 1/72 Halifax Mk2 series 1a.
its all sized wrong, i managed to find correct nacelles for the engines (and props) in resin and i've got them mounted and all the internals are painted and weathered.
i need to get back on it tbh, it is a blast doing them.
i'm also making a Hurricane MkII D with the lovely 40mm Vickers S guns. they were called Flying Tin openers :biggrin:
I got a MKII C with the two hispano 20mm's and converted from there. its a desert craft and flew only in the day so they could bust some tanks. they're both going well.
finding RAF internal Green however was a total PAIN! but i've found a decent revell colour that matches close enough.
i'll get some pics up.
also if you think i'm going into too much detail you want to get onto some of the pro boards, people spend years kitting out internals of planes up to actual spec even at 1/72 scale.

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
I used to do a bit of kit modelling, about 20 years ago, mainly Jaguar cars, I was obsessed with them for a while, then that died out, then about 2 years ago I was doing some research about my grandfathers years on the HMS Manxman during WWII, and I discovered an Airfix kit of that ship. No longer made by Airfix, but I found a NOS one or eBay, built it, painted it and gave to my dad. It was quite enjoyable.

About three years ago my father in law gave me his railway layout, a basic one that comes with the starter kit and a coloured printed layout. He built it up properly and bought more gear building rolling stoch etc., when he finished it he told me was going to sell it. I said I'd buy it, he said I could I just have it. He died a few months later, i think he knew. I need to get it set up.

subaqua

What’s the point
yes, have got back into big time. did a spitfire with my 5 yr old and am just getting through 1 red arrow. I might do them all !

have a Vulcan ready to go but not sure if it should be operational from 60s or the Falklands paint .

have a westland seaking 771 sdn in the box ready to go

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
I have several O gauge wagon and locomotive kits waiting to be built.

I have designs on building a gauge one live steamer and runnign it on a track in the garden.

Cycling and aeromodelling get in the way though.

PocketFrog

Northern Monkey
I used to fly radio control but I ended up falling out with it. Kinda miss it now but I just don't have the time or space to do all the building, flying and inevitable repair!

Here are a few of mine:

Top Bottom