any good presents?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

SamNichols

Well, any? Show and tell.

I got a jumper, a couple of cds, a dd, the inevitable pants and socks, a pair of winter cycling gloves (just what I wanted), and a complete set of bike tools (unexpected and very emasculating... I have no idea what a cotterless crank tool is and have no idea when I'll need it). My mother and I got each other the same book (The best of Linda Smith if you want to know, so I am taking mine in for a swap: maybe some Vonnegut or something).

I got a Victoria Beckham DVD!

gbb

Legendary Member
Oooh oooh...a Nikon D40 Digi SLR ....:tongue:
Plenty of cycing related bits as well ( copy of Cyclecraft was completely unexpected :biggrin:..has she been reading the 'was this cycist bad' post, over my shoulder :biggrin:)

Oooh oooh...a Nikon D40 Digi SLR

Nice! :biggrin: How have you found it so far?

That or the D40x or the Canon eos 400d are still on my January sale list. Was hoping for additional discount in the Jan sales, but all the likely places seem to be maintaining their prices :tongue:. Still a manufaturer discount until Dec 31 on the eos... :biggrin:

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
gbb said:
Oooh oooh...a Nikon D40 Digi SLR ....:biggrin:

Excellent :biggrin: Picture quality from them is very nice - just watch out for the gotchas lens wise (no internal motor in the camera, so only AF-S (Nikon) and HSM (Sigma) lenses will autofocus with it.)

snorri

Legendary Member
SamNichols said:
I have no idea what a cotterless crank tool is and have no idea when I'll need it).

In the olden days, the cotter pin prevented the pedal cranks from rotating on the spindle, but you only needed a hammer and spanner to change a pedal crank. Now nearly all bicycles are "cotterless" and you need a special tool for the job, but you have one, so no excuses.:biggrin:

OP
OP
SamNichols

SamNichols

Why thank you, when I next have to change my cotterless crank I now have the tool to do it with (and many other tools which I'm sure I'll work out how to use as I go along). It's like a workshop in a briefcase...

One of the CDs was Rodrigo y Gabriela, which is absolutely superb and I highly recommend to anyone who likes guitar music.

The book shall be changed on Thursday (and christmas money spent): all in all, a surprisingly stress-free day, all things considering.

gbb

Legendary Member
beanzontoast said:
Nice! :biggrin: How have you found it so far?

That or the D40x or the Canon eos 400d are still on my January sale list. Was hoping for additional discount in the Jan sales, but all the likely places seem to be maintaining their prices :tongue:. Still a manufaturer discount until Dec 31 on the eos... :biggrin:

TBH, i havnt done much more than play with it at the mo. My son has one, and he's had some reallly nice photos of our granddaughter with it...good enough to blow up, frame and put on the wall.

John the Monkey said:
Excellent :smile: Picture quality from them is very nice - just watch out for the gotchas lens wise (no internal motor in the camera, so only AF-S (Nikon) and HSM (Sigma) lenses will autofocus with it.)[/QUOTE]

Ah yes...SWMBO was already ahead with that and got me a 55 - 200 pukka Nikon lens to go with it...poor thing, shes been saving for it for ages.

Looking forward to re-aquainting myself with some birdwatching...maybe get some nice shots with this equipment.

gbb

Legendary Member
SamNichols said:
Why thank you, when I next have to change my cotterless crank I now have the tool to do it with (and many other tools which I'm sure I'll work out how to use as I go along). It's like a workshop in a briefcase...

One of the CDs was Rodrigo y Gabriela, which is absolutely superb and I highly recommend to anyone who likes guitar music.

The book shall be changed on Thursday (and christmas money spent): all in all, a surprisingly stress-free day, all things considering.

If you need to change the BB or obviously the crank, the tools a neccessity, but i found when i give the bike a REALLY good once over, you can get the cranks and chainrings REALLY clean by removing them to do it.
Use carefully tho, get the thread crossed, and youve buggered them.

Top Bottom