Any good stores that sell Reflective Jackets for a decent price

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Katherine

Guru
A reflective Sam Browne belt is a really effective way to stand out as a cyclist.

Drago

Legendary Member
What do you mean they don't work?

at all others: Thanks

I think what MrJ is suggesting is that while they may make you appear more conspicuous, there is little evidence to suggest they make you any safer. The Governments own TRL has reviewed the figures for several different categories of road user and failed to find any link between hi vis and accident rates. The implication of this is that people run over cyclists because they weren't looking, or were driving like prats, and not because they didn't see them.

A somewhat contentious subject, though not as knife wielding and death threat laden as then helmet question!

@User9609 SAR use red, or a mix of hi vis and red, because we and MR were finding that yellow high vis can almost become a form of camo against a grassy or leafy background.

OP
OP
Randombiker9

Randombiker9

I think what MrJ is suggesting is that while they may make you appear more conspicuous, there is little evidence to suggest they make you any safer. The Governments own TRL has reviewed the figures for several different categories of road user and failed to find any link between hi vis and accident rates. The implication of this is that people run over cyclists because they weren't looking, or were driving like prats, and not because they didn't see them.

A somewhat contentious subject, though not as knife wielding and death threat laden as then helmet question!

@User9609 SAR use red, or a mix of hi vis and red, because we and MR were finding that yellow high vis can almost become a form of camo against a grassy or leafy background.
Really? i've not heard of many cycling accidents/Crashes in berkshire. (The county of where i live). ? (I dunno if any of you guys live in Berkshire on here) and to be honest aren't most accidents caused by drivers (or cyclists/pedestrians) not paying attention or doing something stupid)?

vickster

Legendary Member
Really? i've not heard of many cycling accidents/Crashes in berkshire. (The county of where i live). ? (I dunno if any of you guys live in Berkshire on here) and to be honest aren't most accidents caused by drivers (or cyclists/pedestrians) not paying attention or doing something stupid)?
Yes that’s the point, a stupid driver not looking wont see you even if you’re lit up like a Christmas tree

Drago

Legendary Member
Exactememt! Its not that they can't see you, or that their eyesight is faulty, but that they don't look properly, and all the hi vis in the World isn't going to save you from that.

snorri

Legendary Member
[QUOTE 5016829, member: 9609"]is it just the mismatch of lots of colours (even though they are bright) make me look more camouflaged, whreas the large area of solid red stands out ?[/QUOTE]
Could be!
Just as the military wear different patterns and colours of camouflage depending on their area of operation, I suppose cyclists could be changing their hi-viz as they cycle through cities, forests and the varying hues of farmland^_^.

I'd just like to point out that that the OP has specifically asked about reflective clothing, so the discussion about hi viz seems pretty off topic.

The all reflective jackets (like the one from Mountain Warehouse) make you glow like the archangel Gabriel when hit by headlights. They certainly draw my eye.
024010_SIL_WMS_INERTIA_RELECTIVE_WOMENS_JACKET_SS16_1_l.jpg

024010_SIL_WMS_INERTIA_RELECTIVE_WOMENS_JACKET_SS16_11_l.jpg

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
[QUOTE 5017206, member: 9609"]Wrong.
There is nobody driving who never looks where they are going, even someone driving and composing a text message is still occasionally glancing at the road ahead. To capture their attention you really do need to stand out from the crowd, so being lit up like a xmas tree and/or wearing bright contrasting colours will improve your odds of being seen, it won't guarantee being seen but it will improve your chances.[/QUOTE]
Wrong. Wearing ugly reflective clothes does not reduce cycling casualty rates as far as can be detected so far. My theory is that you cannot capture the attention of someone not paying enough. Also, most reflective patterns are not readily identifiable as human.

simongt

Guru
Regarding Hi-viz / bright colours, it's very much how the individual human eyeball interprets colour & shades of colour. As an average of 13% of men are colour blind - usually in the red / blue, or blue / green spectrums, there is even more area for 'definition'. Oddly, genetically, it's very rare for a woman to be colour blind. Having seen the various colours 'out on the road', my personal best for visibility is hi-viz / dayglo orange, :thumbsup: with pink being a close second and yellow third. All in solid colour, as any type of patterning will break up the outline of the wearer; basic camoflage principle. :thumbsdown:

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
All you need is a waterproof Hi-vis overcoat as used by workmen at the roadside and builders etc. You can easily get a serviceable one for under £20 off eBay from any industrial PPE/workwear supplier. This time of year get one with a lining as they are warmer. Most can supply in either yellow or orange as per the wearer's preference. There's no need to spend silly money on clothing any more than you need to spend silly money on bikes. Cheap and cheerful will still get the job done. I leave one in the back of my car just in case it rains unexpectedly when I'm out and about and I don't fancy getting soaked.

Top Bottom