Any ideas how to refill Sarsons vinegar bottle (see photo)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MikeG

Guru
Does a nozzle-thingy that you inflate footballs with fit into the hole? If so, why are you asking the question? Has your stirrup pump broken?

Last edited:
OP
OP
Dave7

Dave7

Legendary Member
Bung up the hole with a match, as previously. Don diving kit, and descend a couple of hundred feet into a large body of water. Surface. Refill with vinegar. You'll need to find a cork.
Please correct me if I am wrong but .......if I did that would the contents not simply compress on descent then expand again on ascent ?

OP
OP
Dave7

Dave7

Legendary Member
Tip some bicarbonate of soda into the hole. Get as much in as you can be bothered with. Take a syringe, and squirt some vinegar in, then quickly block the hole with your thumb. Rinse and refill with vinegar.
Have to be honest Mike (and please dont take offence) but I prefer your Everest suggestion

MikeG

Guru
Please correct me if I am wrong but .......if I did that would the contents not simply compress on descent then expand again on ascent ?

You'll need to go deep enough that the plastic bung is pushed (or pulled) fully inside the bottle. You'll need lights to confirm this. Only then should you surface.

gbb

Legendary Member
Which brings to mind another question....what's happened to vinegar ?
Nowadays i put vinegar on chips and it creates steam, like the water content is too high ? Difficult to explain but it just doesnt have the bite it used to.

OP
OP
Dave7

Dave7

Legendary Member
You'll need to go deep enough that the plastic bung is pushed (or pulled) inside the bottle. You'll need lights to confirm this. Only then should you surface.
Right got it. Yes got it.
If I survive the flame thrower and microwave ideas I may go that route.
BTW do you have SCUBA gear I can borrow ?

OP
OP
Dave7

Dave7

Legendary Member
Which brings to mind another question....what's happened to vinegar ?
Nowadays i put vinegar on chips and it creates steam, like the water content is too high ? Difficult to explain but it just doesnt have the bite it used to.
Obviously you are not using pickled onion vinegar ??

MikeG

Guru
Right got it. Yes got it.
If I survive the flame thrower and microwave ideas I may go that route.
BTW do you have SCUBA gear I can borrow ?

I don't think Scuba gear will be adequate. I think you'll need deep sea diving gear with lead boots, copper helmet, and an air supply pumped down from a surface vessel. I'll check my sheds to see if I have anything which might fit the bill.

OP
OP
Dave7

Dave7

Legendary Member
Fill a bowl with champagne, and lie the bottle on its side in the champagne. After a few minutes, remove the bottle, place your thumb over the hole, and pretend you've just won the Monaco Grand Prix.
And that would remove the plastic stopper how?

Top Bottom