Any ideas where to get this thingy ma bob from?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

DWiggy

Über Member
Just watched this video showing a pro mechanic cleaning a competition bike and was wondering where you can get the spacer wheel thingy from that hold the chain from the frame when the rear wheel is off?

Any ideas?

T.M.H.N.E.T

Rainbows aren't just for world champions

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
I'm just boggled he uses detergents a pressure wash spray! I've always been told that's a no-no... unless the alloys on the bike have no ferrous content whatsoever, unlike ours, and it's irrelevant!

T.M.H.N.E.T

Rainbows aren't just for world champions
When bikes are maintained so meticulously every single day after use, using pressure washing really won't make the slightest bit of difference.

screenman

Legendary Member
I'm just boggled he uses detergents a pressure wash spray! I've always been told that's a no-no... unless the alloys on the bike have no ferrous content whatsoever, unlike ours, and it's irrelevant!

It is because he knows what he is doing, a lot of rubbish is written about the use of pressure washers when cleaning bikes, mainly by people who have read something somewhere.

I always use and have done for the past 30 years a jet wash when cleaning the bike.

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
Do you dry everything after or let it drip dry in the garage S?
Haven't got a jet wash... never had one, but curious all the same.

He doesn't look like he's doing anything clever or special, other than scrubbing everything hard with a brush and power washing the very soapy water off!:laugh:

gbb

Legendary Member
A bit off the original topic, but pressure washing....my take.....
My previous bike, an alloy Bianchi was washed regularly with a hand held sprayer with a soapy solution, then blown down with an airline and then paper towelled properly dry. Did it for ages, no problems I noticed...until I went to adjust my downtube adjusters. Siezed solid. I came to the conclusion the water sitting on them got down the threads. They sheared off trying to turn them, I ended up drilling and retapping them, a hell of a job. All bikes since, I have applied anti sieze to anything with a thread I can get at.
That was the ONLY problem I found with the bike getting washed on a regular basis, and its easily avoided with a little preventative maintenance.

D

Deleted member 23692

It is because he knows what he is doing, a lot of rubbish is written about the use of pressure washers when cleaning bikes, mainly by people who have read something somewhere.

I always use and have done for the past 30 years a jet wash when cleaning the bike.
This!! A jet wash will strip skin off your hand if used at close range but move back a foot or two and it's really not that powerful.

And the chap isn't using a jet wash ... just a normal hose and nozzle

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
DWiggy

DWiggy

Über Member
I'm guessing that as this is a team bike it will get a complete overhaul bearings included after every race, so water ingress and corrosion to bearings is irrelevant.

I'm guessing that as this is a team bike it will get a complete overhaul bearings included after every race, so water ingress and corrosion to bearings is irrelevant.

Not really - there isn't the time to do that and it isn't necessary anyway. Unless any of the bikes come back with mechanical issues after a stage, most of them just get washed, dried, lubed and hung up until the next day.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
that bike gets stripped and rebuilt throughout the season and is moved on at the end of it. He could pressure wash it it in sea water and get away with it given the amount of TLC it will receive.

Top Bottom