Any industrial engineering fans here?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Saddle bum

Über Member
What are budgets like for military engineering? I mean is it a 'whatever cost it must be the best' scenario?

'Fraid al the technical expertise has been dispensed with and only accountants are left. MoD is no longer an intellegent customer, seen as a milk-cow by BAe and the like. The Squaddie and his needsd were always paramount in our eyes, but that is no longer the case.

OP
OP
Andrew_Culture

Andrew_Culture

Internet Marketing bod
This.

Tbh, not really a fan of paper machines and the likes. I can definitely appreciate all the work that goes into them, but not for me. :smile:

How about hot melt adhesive applications?

View: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ir4OnU4NFhk

Although paper is still involved I guess :smile:

Drago

Legendary Member
but that is no longer the case.
Roger that. The New Queen Elizabeth Class carriers are a sterling example of penny pinching taking priority of ocer operational effectiveness. Nuclear propulsion deleted from the design because its too expensive, limiting endurance. Asvit is the Navy was so strapped that Invibcible usually ran on only 1 ebgine to save money. CATOBAR system deleted because its too expensive, so they get the slower, less combat capable, less well armed with a shorter range V/STOL version of the JSF. So we get 2nd rate ability in the interests of saving a few quid. War on the cheap.

dan_bo

How much does it cost to Oldham?
Please do :smile:

Right.

So you want to analyse a chemical sample- Blood, drugs drugs in blood, Oil, wee, air, paint, blah.

To find out what it's mass is, you need to be able to analyse it's behaviour when you subject it to certain conditions, so you need to get it to respond in said conditions. Molecules won't do that, Ions will so you need to ionise your sample.

You can add or take away electrons (using filaments-guns- like in an old fashioned telly)- electron impact or you can add or remove hydrogen ions or other species using electrospray (charged aerosol), or derivatives, maldi (lasers)- these are the main ionisation techniques used these days.

Now you can manipulate the charged species to see how it behaves under certain conditions- Analysis.

You can measure the time taken to get from A to B (time of flight)
You can measure the species' behaviour in a quadratic field (quadrupole-deflectors in yer telly)
Or you can bend 'em around a corner with a chuff off magnet and see what angle they come off at (sector-momentum)
Other technologies are also available.

And then, we have some electronics to analyse the behaviour and interpret the data for you. See- easy!

The industry has put food on the tables of a lot of families in the north west for around 60 years now, and Manchester is still there or thereabouts, at the cutting edge of the technologies involved. I'm proud of that.

Drago

Legendary Member
This thread is sexually arousing me.

Top Bottom