Any industrial engineering fans here?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

dan_bo

How much does it cost to Oldham?
I'd love to show you a vid of what I do, but the vids all seem to be fronted by snot nosed suits :angry:

However, they are designed, developed and manufactured in Manchester, and have been since the 50s:

Here's one:

EDIT: but these days they're owned stateside.

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
Whenever I try and talk to family or friends enthusiastically about the big machines we make at work I am met by the sort of face people put on when trying to be polite to street drunks while planning a swift escape.

I think the machines we build are cool, but outside of the industry I'm not terribly sure anyone gives a poopy bum, which is a challenge when trying to get mates to help me out increasing 'likes' and watch counts when I make videos of the machines (which is a part of my job).

The machine in the video I have just finished working on winds a paper(ish) material that rips very easily, and it winds it very fast indeed. If you have a passing interest in very clever machines (or like those 'how it's made' programs) you might enjoy this video.

View: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dtEEdhEdKYM

So your company has invented a machine which transfers paper from one roll to another roll, handy :whistle:

sheddy

Legendary Member
Engineering put the Great in Britain. Shame it has been neglected by successive Govts.

I'm hoping Mr Portillo has some more big stuff on this week in the railway series

OP
OP
Andrew_Culture

Andrew_Culture

Internet Marketing bod
So your company has invented a machine which transfers paper from one roll to another roll, handy :whistle:

Nah, we didn't invent it, that happened about fifty years ago, we did make it bloody brilliant though!

It may look simple but it's brilliant for:
  • Salvage winding
  • Recycling waste product (by trimming)
  • Correcting badly wound rolls (by web guiding)
  • Defect removal (using splice table)
  • Print inspection
  • Winding to length
  • Winding from one core size to another
  • Correction tension on rolls
  • Trimming
  • Changing print orientation

OP
OP
Andrew_Culture

Andrew_Culture

Internet Marketing bod
Nooooo they're not. It's like a telly. A clever telly. I'll explain if you like.

Please do :smile:

Saddle bum

Über Member
images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSvRWGIuYWs1R_c22OuQIkoHX3ftn6PQZVp6808ABj29l5tJdryaw.jpg

This was my engineering.

MrB1obby

I like my machines big, heavy, breathing steam, petrol, diesel or aviation fuel designed by men with pencils and slide rules

This.

Tbh, not really a fan of paper machines and the likes. I can definitely appreciate all the work that goes into them, but not for me. :smile:

Top Bottom