Any ladies around here? The saddle!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

okigen

Regular
Hi ladies, so I've been riding my hybrid for 1 month now and the bum starts to sore. A little bit at the sit bones but the main discomfort comes from *ahem* the front. I guess it's because my riding position puts more pressure there. Is there a saddle you can recommend? My budget is £40 max.

Many thanks ! :rolleyes:

Sharky

Guru
Have you experimented with saddle tilt? A slight tilt down at the nose might help.

Ah yes, numb lady bits. Tell me about it, been there, done that, felt the discomfort. Have to agree with @Sharky - tilt the nose of the saddle down just a tad first and see where it takes you.

Saddles can be a right pain. Literally. But if you are looking for an alternative to what you have, a Charge Ladle would be a good bet, as it seems to suit most female bottoms. And at just shy of £30, it's well within budget. I have two - one on my road bike and one on my hybrid. They have a pressure relief channel in the saddle frame, so there's just that little bit of "give" under the top surface, just where it's needed.

Have a Selle SMP on the mountain bike build. That's actually got a cutout, but I haven't done enough mileage on it to decide whether I like the saddle or not.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
I guess it's because my riding position puts more pressure there.

Chances are it's the saddle, but you may be on to something with your riding position.

A hybrid has an upright position, so there shouldn't be a great deal of pressure on your wrists and palms, nor should you be hanging onto the handlebars with your fingers.

Adjusting the height or reach of the bars - or the height of the saddle - by not very much could make a difference to saddle comfort.

Riding position can be a complicated topic, particularly if you are experiencing discomfort, and there's no simple formula which suits all, so it comes down to trial and error.

Tenkaykev

Guru
Ah yes, numb lady bits. Tell me about it, been there, done that, felt the discomfort. Have to agree with @Sharky - tilt the nose of the saddle down just a tad first and see where it takes you.

Saddles can be a right pain. Literally. But if you are looking for an alternative to what you have, a Charge Ladle would be a good bet, as it seems to suit most female bottoms. And at just shy of £30, it's well within budget. I have two - one on my road bike and one on my hybrid. They have a pressure relief channel in the saddle frame, so there's just that little bit of "give" under the top surface, just where it's needed.

Have a Selle SMP on the mountain bike build. That's actually got a cutout, but I haven't done enough mileage on it to decide whether I like the saddle or not.

Mrs Tenkay has the Selle Smp fitted to all of her bikes, it's got a cutout and she has the saddle tilted slightly down.
She's cycled end to end and other long rides without issue.

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
As others have said, tilt the nose of the saddle down slightly. Getting it right is a very tricky thing. It's a matter of trial and error I am afraid. Good luck

My wife who is new to longer distance cycling (120 miles per weeks now) has had to try a few saddle to get comfortable. Ladies can have a sit bones that are wider and therefore need a slightly wider saddle. You can measure the distance of your sit bones by sitting on some cardboard packaging and measuring the distance between the pressure points. I hope this helps.
Ps gents some of us also have wide sit bones so it can be worth checking 😉

Mrs Tenkay has the Selle Smp fitted to all of her bikes, it's got a cutout and she has the saddle tilted slightly down.
She's cycled end to end and other long rides without issue.

I have a Charge Ladle bottom. :blush: The SMP came fitted on the hybrid that I bought used off a forum member. I didn't like it on the hybrid, but seems better on the MTB (as far as I can tell from a short test ride). New though, it's way above the OP's budget.

Julia9054

Guru
I fitted a Selle saddle with a cut out (can’t remember the exact make) to the last hybrid I owned. Very comfortable - I always go for saddles with a cut out. Unfortunately, I left it on the bike when I sold it which I am cross with myself for doing.
The bike came with a Charge Spoon which was an instrument of torture so that has always put me off trying the Ladle.

I fitted a Selle saddle with a cut out (can’t remember the exact make) to the last hybrid I owned. Very comfortable - I always go for saddles with a cut out. Unfortunately, I left it on the bike when I sold it which I am cross with myself for doing.
The bike came with a Charge Spoon which was an instrument of torture so that has always put me off trying the Ladle.

The Spoon is quite narrow compared to the Ladle. Chances are you were sitting over the saddle rather than on it, which is, I will admit, rather painful. The junior saddles that came with two of my bikes were, I swear, designed by Torquemada during the Spanish Inquisition.

Julia9054

Guru
The Spoon is quite narrow compared to the Ladle. Chances are you were sitting over the saddle rather than on it, which is, I will admit, rather painful. The junior saddles that came with two of my bikes were, I swear, designed by Torquemada during the Spanish Inquisition.
I have narrow sit bones for a laydee! It was the right width but definitely not the right shape!

Top Bottom