Any men riding women's bike?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
FWIW, my leg/height ratio is off the scale of many bike fit tables, presumably written for men eg this one from wiggle. I'm 5 6 with a 31" inside leg, which apparently makes me a freak.

My legs are long, even for a woman, Sadly, my sturdy peasant legs means no one has ever noticed.

_20171030_115357.JPG

Debade

Über Member
My shopping bike is a 3 speed 1980 something Schwinn Traveler. I like the step-thru as it is convenient with any clothes. And, I expect the likelihood of theft being old and step-thru discourages theft. And, I am so please I purchased it at Dream Bikes, Trek's NGO program to help employ kids and sell refurbished bikes.

There's a make of bike, small manufacturer, quite new I think, that makes bikes of the same frame size in two dimensions for the rider with a longer or shorter torso. I remember reading about them but didn't bookmark the page and now I can't find them: My Google Fu is weak.

Julia9054

Guru
CC351FEB-D4B9-4E7D-94A1-B64403DDBCCE.jpg
I ride a Specialized men's diverge size 48. I am 1.61m. Having a look on their website, I see that they now do a women's diverge. Here are the dimensions - the first column is the men's size 48 and the second, the women's. I don't actually know how all the measurements (apart from the obvious ones) relate to an actual bike but I'm sure lots of people on here do

View attachment 380958 I ride a Specialized men's diverge size 48. I am 1.61m. Having a look on their website, I see that they now do a women's diverge. Here are the dimensions - the first column is the men's size 48 and the second, the women's. I don't actually know how all the measurements (apart from the obvious ones) relate to an actual bike but I'm sure lots of people on here do
Shorter top tube, longer headtube, so shorter and higher is pretty much it, with perhaps a sloping top tube for standover, narrower bars, that kind of thing.

J1888

Über Member
I ride 'woman's' bike. I'm a very small 5ft tall and 'men's' bikes don't seem to go small enough for me. My first decent roadie was a Spesh Dolce Elite. I've done thousands of miles on this lime green bike (without flowers, though I suppose I could have put some stickers on it), and loved almost every mile. Certainly solved the numb hand I was experiencing on a bigger, man's bike because the frame fitted properly.

My new roadie is a Bianca woman's road bike because again, its the best fit. No issues there either. it's grey with some teal, and teal bar tape. No flowers there either....

Is that the one which comes with an Airzound that shouts 'RICKKAAYYYYYYY'

Julia9054

Guru
Shorter top tube, longer headtube, so shorter and higher is pretty much it, with perhaps a sloping top tube for standover, narrower bars, that kind of thing.
Hmmm - if the accepted wisdom is that taking a man and a woman of the same height, the woman is likely to have longer legs and a shorter reach than the man, not sure why she would need a lower stand over height as his legs are likely to be shorter. She is unlikely to be riding this sort of bike in a skirt (although I have on occasions when I cba to get changed after work!)

Julia9054

Guru
Actually, what irks me the most is that there are 6 different versions of the Diverge for men and only 2 (at the lower end of the spec) for women
This lack of choice is by no means exclusive to Specialized

not sure why she would need a lower stand over height as his legs are likely to be shorter. She is unlikely to be riding this sort of bike in a skirt
And if the bathing suit area comes in suddenly, unplanned contact with the top tube, the man is going to suffer more. "worse than child birth" I hear. :wacko:
This lack of choice is by no means exclusive to Specialized
That's one of the reasons I chose a Giant. At least in the aluminium road bike range, matching models and prices.

Top Bottom