Any motorcyclists on here?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
I know @steveindenmark has one. Anyone else?
My reason for asking is I would really like to get back on one. I had quite a few in my twenties but now in my seventy fifth year am too old for them?
My main worry is the weight and balance. They seem much heavier than they once were.
Any advice and observations welcome.

Gunk

Guru
I have always been in to bikes, currently ride a BMW S1000R and Tiger Cub

IMG_2794.jpeg

IMG_2685.jpeg

If you returning to motorbikes, just start with something small and light, a little 250 or 400.

good luck and keep us updated!

OP
OP
Cycleops

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Okay. In fact I am currently looking at a Honda VTR 250 and a Honda Hornet.
The most popular machine here is a Chinese copy of the old Honda CG125, made by various makers. Other mainstream makes are usually brought in from Japan, hence the VTR250 which I think was not available in the UK.
Screenshot_20240328-184742.png

This is the Hornet.
Screenshot_20240327-084307.png

Leaning towards the VTR at the moment which is fresh from Japan. Looks a bit like a mini monster Ducati with it's V twin engine and lattice frame. Honda even copied the instrument cluster with just a Speedo and warning lights.
I think the Hornet might scare me to death.

Last edited:

Brandane

Legendary Member
Been riding motorbikes since I was 20 (41 years ago), which was 4 years before I bothered getting my car licence.
Two years ago I gave them up for good (again! :laugh:) and sold my Honda VFR 800.
Then, last August someone local was selling a cheap old Honda NT650V Deauville (unkindly aka Dullsville) so I took a punt on it. 25 years old, 15k miles on the clock! And I love the thing. A twin cylinder with not a lot of power, but more than enough for my wants these days. Very relaxing and comfortable to ride.
My advice to you @Cycleops ....
If you haven't been on a bike in all that time, can you borrow or hire one to take for an extended ride? You wouldn't want to make the investment in the bike + riding kit, only to find you don't actually enjoy it. If you do decide to go for it, then you have a wide choice of bikes. Not sure how we can advise you there.. Do you intend to go touring? Short day trips? Track days? Narrow twisty mountain routes or arrow straight highways?
Good luck!

Attachments

• 20240324_140801.jpg
    20240324_140801.jpg
    304.3 KB · Views: 7
OP
OP
Cycleops

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Thanks for the advice @Brandane
I may try to borrow a bike just to see if I still like it.
I would like to explore outside of Accra which I've never done, mainly because I hate driving, so day trips.
Similar story with the VTR, it's 1998 but with only 14,000km on the clock.

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/motorbike-and-scooter-owners.254388/page-73 is the usual hang-out for bikers, btw...

While I'm here: Yamaha Xmax 300 & 400. I bought the latter so I could get an A2 automatic licence, having failed to get the hang of clutch control. Given I do 10,000 miles a year or thereabouts, services tend to come around rather quickly so two bikes are rather handy (trains are rubbish for my return commute). The 300 was the obvious answer to the question: what's as good as an Xmax 400 but a bit lighter and cheaper to run?

delb0y

Legendary Member
Last autumn I sold my 20+ year old ZRX1200 and bought a Z650. The weight and power of the old one were just way to much for me these days. Ever since I bought the 650 it's been raining. Torrentially.

figbat

Slippery scientist
Yep. Passed my test around 23 years ago and have had a bike ever since. I don’t ride as often as I want to but it’s great to have the option. My 13yo son is also now coming out with me as pillion, which adds another dimension.

Bikes don’t have to be heavy. There are plenty of smaller bikes that are pretty light. The main issue with a bike’s weight is pushing it around or if you happen to overbalance. On the move they are generally very easy to manage.

1711700284810.jpeg

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
Got my first bike 1975, Suzuki GT 125. I’ve had bikes on and off since, from Pan Europeans to currently a Honda 125 twist and go. I’m sort of hankering for a Triumph Tiger.

Top Bottom