Votes: 1 100.0%
  • Mocha and muffin

• 500 penny chews

• Saved it for a rainy day

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I was in a shop today and they had Trout Mask Replica by Captain Beefheart for a fiver. Now, I've never actually listened to any Beefheart but I've heard it described as 'challenging' (code for unlistenable cobblers but you have to pretend you like it) and I wondered what I was missing. In the end I decided to spend my fiver on a mocha and choccy muffin. Did I do the right thing?

Speicher

Vice Admiral
Everyone agrees with me so far :blush:, you were right.

longers

Legendary Member
I think a fiver for a single baked good and a brew is a bit steep :blush:.

I voted for "rainy day" - tomorrow probably.

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
I have one or two friends who would possily kill anyone who said Beefheart is a load of sh!te. Thet often therefore try to kill me, coz I just don't get it, I'm afraid. Mind you, they don't get The Jam, or the Specials, or know why I would have any liking whatsoever for the output of Weller's Solid Bond Studios or Trojan records at its finest. Horses for courses, innit!

Abitrary

I wouldn't buy or listen to that.

I imagine knowledge of it would be useful however if you wanted to blag a rollup off an aging hippy with a leather jacket and a stoop smoking outside a seedy pub.

Dave5N

Über Member
Some Beefheart's pretty good; I'm afraid Trout Mask Replica isn't.

Though personally I think you would have made your money go furthest with 500 penny chews.

Melvil

I am the one(!) who says you should have bought Trout Mask Replica. It's not music snobbery, it's just worth listening to, educationally speaking.

My favourite beefheart song is actually 'Willie the Pimp', which technically is not a beefheart song as he only does the vocals and its on the Frank Zappa album 'Hot Rats' but it's ruddy marvelous.

Melvil

Keith Oates said:
I think you did the right thing Chuffy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Philistine!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!*

*Not

Foghat

Freight-train-groove-rider
As a connoisseur of decent Beefheart (witness these completely marvellous examples from his eminently listenable period of 1974:

Full Moon Hot Sun

Peaches

Mirror Man)

I can confirm that much of 1969's Trout Mask Replica is indeed unmitigated cobblers.

However, all music lovers should own his live London 1974 CD, which is full of feelgood, choogling numbers and a knockout Full Moon Hot Sun.

Top Bottom