Any octogenarians on here still cycling?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

13 rider

Guru
The old git got his own back this morning when he dropped me going up Saxilby Hill

@13 rider
Beat me too the post

No real tips. It is due to genetics and luck I think as well as never stop doing exercise of some kind both mental and physical.
I mostly mixed with people younger than myself and was referred to as the "grandfather" of the local cycling club as the nearest in age to me was about 15years younger and going on down to teenagers.
Same in my scuba diving days as most were younger then me.
I have been as a visitor in retirement homes and such a place would quickly kill me.
100% with you on not stopping at least some form of exercise. I've lost count of the number of professional footballers that die in their 70s. I think they just give up. Same with people that retire at 65 and are dead at 67. One of the worst things anyone can do. Use it or lose it.

Big T

Guru
I’ve got a friend who is 92 and is still cycling. He did switch to an e bike a couple of years ago, but before that he was doing 20-30 mile rides on his non-assisted road bike. I’ve got another who is 80 and still does club runs.

deuxfois

However old you are there's always someone who's older and better. In 2004 I rode from Paris to Athens - almost 2000 kms in 11 days - with an international group 'Amicale Euro Cyclotourisme'. I was coming up 62 at the time and thought it was something I should do before I got too old. I shared a room for a couple of nights with a French rider who, at 84, was older than my Dad!

I still ride regularly (admittedly avoiding the worst of the winter weather by riding the turbo). Oh, and I've just bought a Circe tandem to take my wife and my grandkids out. Not at the same time, you understand :dry:
Keep pedalling.

Jameshow

Veteran
I’ve got a friend who is 92 and is still cycling. He did switch to an e bike a couple of years ago, but before that he was doing 20-30 mile rides on his non-assisted road bike. I’ve got another who is 80 and still does club runs.

E bikes are a boon for elderly cyclists, enabling them to cycling for much longer. Have a regular in the LLC at 85 on a ruddy great big e MTB!!

deuxfois

I can certainly see that an e-bike could be great fun, and increase your cycling longevity. However, the way I feel at the moment, coping with traffic is a greater anxiety than not being fit enough to enjoy cycling. I may change my mind as time goes by, but I can see myself becoming increasingly reluctant to go out on busy roads. Slower reactions, compromised hearing and vision, and the fact that a simple fall could be incapacitating are unfortunately not really helped by electrical assistance.

deuxfois

Thanks, nagden. Yes, there's always someone who refuses to acknowledge the limits which give pause to lesser mortals. I wish him all the best. I know several people who've tried for just one too many, and failed to make it back to Paris within the time limit - although 'failed' is too harsh a word for someone who just keeps on trying like that!

I know my limits - deux fois, c'était suffisant:rolleyes:

PS - knew the useful words 'dingue' and 'cinglé', but had to look up 'fêlé' - nice!

I can certainly see that an e-bike could be great fun, and increase your cycling longevity. However, the way I feel at the moment, coping with traffic is a greater anxiety than not being fit enough to enjoy cycling. I may change my mind as time goes by, but I can see myself becoming increasingly reluctant to go out on busy roads. Slower reactions, compromised hearing and vision, and the fact that a simple fall could be incapacitating are unfortunately not really helped by electrical assistance.

You need a tandem and a volunteer.

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
Top Bottom