Any octogenarians on here still cycling?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

oldwheels

Legendary Member
I now have a trike as my balance has gone AWOL. Out at least a couple times a week at least. 87 in a couple of weeks.:smile:

When I moved down here circa 10years ago my mate who used to beat me regularly was in his 70s, he's now in his 80s and although naturally he has slowed down after a hip replacement he's still going strong and will still beat some people younger than him.

I marshalled at a pre covid event (the E2/10) and an old bloke came up to me all excited about his time. I thought, It was a good time but its a flat course so it wasn't a great one for a 70 year old. I later found out he was 92 :ohmy: A few years later and whilst he regularly finishes last, he finishes 👍

Cycleops

Legendary Member
1656796151506.png

Sharky

Guru
When I moved down here circa 10years ago my mate who used to beat me regularly was in his 70s, he's now in his 80s and although naturally he has slowed down after a hip replacement he's still going strong and will still beat some people younger than him.

I marshalled at a pre covid event (the E2/10) and an old bloke came up to me all excited about his time. I thought, It was a good time but its a flat course so it wasn't a great one for a 70 year old. I later found out he was 92 :ohmy: A few years later and whilst he regularly finishes last, he finishes 👍

Rode a TT many years ago on one of the E courses. There was one rider with a number 84 on his back. I found out later that he was given the number to mark his age!
May have been the same rider.

oldwheels

Legendary Member
@oldwheels
@pawl

Thank you for the inspiration.🏅

If either of you have any tips for us spring chickens, do share with the forum. 👈

As Colonel Tom Parker once said to Elvis, "Whatever it is you are doing, keep doing it"

No real tips. It is due to genetics and luck I think as well as never stop doing exercise of some kind both mental and physical.
I mostly mixed with people younger than myself and was referred to as the "grandfather" of the local cycling club as the nearest in age to me was about 15years younger and going on down to teenagers.
Same in my scuba diving days as most were younger then me.
I have been as a visitor in retirement homes and such a place would quickly kill me.

Top Bottom