Any octogenarians on here still cycling?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
I knew someone who bought himself a new bike as an eightieth birthday present :becool:

I fully intend to do that. Bought myself a new Ribble SLe for my 75th, have had a new bike every 5 years since my 60th. Ebikes now as my legs are somewhat bu88ered by vascular disease, but I see no reason why I shouldn't carry on and on and on .....

Last edited:

oldwheels

Legendary Member
I can certainly see that an e-bike could be great fun, and increase your cycling longevity. However, the way I feel at the moment, coping with traffic is a greater anxiety than not being fit enough to enjoy cycling. I may change my mind as time goes by, but I can see myself becoming increasingly reluctant to go out on busy roads. Slower reactions, compromised hearing and vision, and the fact that a simple fall could be incapacitating are unfortunately not really helped by electrical assistance.

I certainly agree on busy roads plus the fear of falling and not bouncing too well nowadays.
Currently I only use one busy road for about half a mile before getting off on to a cyclepath. The road in question is not too bad as traffic about a mile away is controlled by traffic lights on a narrow bridge so there is always a space with little or no traffic going the same direction as myself. Coming back is a different route on a cycle path. Otherwise I use single track roads with mostly slower traffic.
I am lucky in some respects as my location allows this. Other places you may not be able to do such routes.

deuxfois

It shouldn't be too difficult to find someone to share your tandem; I for one would love to help someone get back out on the road.

That's a kind thought - thanks.

My post may have given the impression that I 'don't get out much'. In fact (grotty weather aside, when I prefer the turbo) I do ride 3 or 4 times a week, choosing my time and routes to avoid too much traffic. I'm in Wakefield, on the outskirts of the West Yorkshire conurbation, so going south and east is fairly quiet, and there are a few off-road routes such as the Trans-Pennine Trail.

The Circe tandem is a new acquisition. The 'telescopic' adjustment at the rear enables me to use it for my grandchildren and for my wife; great fun along the TPT! I've even had my 80kg son-in-law as a powerful rear engine. Hasn't had a lot of use since I bought it just before the winter closed in, but it will get more outings come spring, and will see me out and be passed on to my daughter's family; our 10 y.o. grandson is slightly disabled, so can't balance a solo, but loves to ride.

Top Bottom