Any of you machine or hand washed 'dry clean only' clothes?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
I have two pairs of trousers i'd like to clean. Preferably wash rather than dry clean as i don't think dry cleaning is that good. Plus it's 8 quid for a pair of pants cleaning at the local dry cleaners and i'm too tight/careful to pay that.🧐 One pair is 50% wool/polyester,the other is only 2% wool/polyester. I'm thinking of washing them in cool water in my twin tub,on a soft wash using wool friendly liquid. We can gentle wash woolens such as cardigans and jumpers,so i don't see pants being a problem.🤔

Last edited:

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
Let us know how you get on.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
I'm thinking less that that. More like tepid water.
Do whatever worked for your cardigans and jumpers, you should be fine.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
I have done suit trousers, 100% wool, from time to time in the washing machine. Used the gentlest setting and low temperature, very low speed spin or no spin. Iron them through a tea towel else they go shiny

Ruined one pair which shrunk irredeemably as I'd set the machine on a more aggressive setting by mistake

Last edited:
OP
OP
Accy cyclist

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
I have done suit trousers, 100% wool, from time to time in the washing machine. Used the gentlest setting and low temperature, very low speed spin or no spin. Iron them through a tea towel else they go shiny

Ruined one pair which shrunk irredeemably as I'd set the machine on a more aggressive setting

The advantage of tedious twin tubs over automatics is that you can stop the cycle whenever you want. I've put delicates in automatics on a hot wash by mistake and thought shoot!!!:ohmy:

I would have few problems washing "hand wash" only things in a machine on appropriate prog, but wouldn't risk dry clean only stuff. Am tight/careful like you so the only dryclean only stuff i would ever usually buy would be suits.
I get the feeling you are going to do it anyway.*
So in a spirit of scientific knowledge sharing please post a pic of you in the trousers now before they go in the machine.
Then you in them afterwards.
* Have you asked the dog?

winjim

Smash the cistern
The reason for dry cleaning suits is less the fabric itself and more the interfacing which would get ruined and lose its shape in a normal wash. This is more a problem for jackets as they have more interfacing and more shape to them, but since they come as a set, the trousers will have the same washing instructions.

I'd do them on the gentlest setting, use wool wash detergent as you say, take them out ASAP and dry them flat. Assuming they're for everyday wear. If they were actually part of a suit or Sunday best for a special occasion or something then I'd get them properly cleaned.

sleuthey

Legendary Member
I accidentally put a Tweed Jacket in the Washing m/c and it turned into a Tweed TShirt that went in the green bin. My wife was delighted. I felt it served me right for buying such an item. So IMO no you can’t just go putting anything in the washing machine.

Dave7

Legendary Member
I have two pairs of trousers i'd like to clean. Preferably wash rather than dry clean as i don't think dry cleaning is that good. Plus it's 8 quid for a pair of pants cleaning at the local dry cleaners and i'm too tight/careful to pay that.🧐 One pair is 50% wool/polyester,the other is only 2% wool/polyester. I'm thinking of washing them in cool water in my twin tub,on a soft wash using wool friendly liquid. We can gentle wash woolens such as cardigans and jumpers,so i don't see pants being a problem.🤔
MrsD says you will be ok so long as you follow the advice above ie very short, cool wash.
My own advice is have a bath while wearing them.......that way, if they shrink, at least you get one more wear out of them ^_^.

Top Bottom