Any PC gamers around?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
My son's is very quiet even on load as he's quite a number of fans controlled by a fan controller with various temperature sensors in the case, and has a water cooling system (off the peg) for the CPU, whch throws all the heat right out the back of the machine, so the case internals are very cool.

My daughter's is a litle nosier as the ARGB fans are linked to a remote control, rather than speed sensitive on the mobo (board didn't support ARGB). CPU fan (no water cooling) and graphics are quiet, just a low hum from the 4 lit up case fans. Her machine does look great - currently ruunning a purple and pink rotating fade effect. My son's is pre-ARGB and is running blue and UV lighting.

OP
OP
Grant Fondo
Including cooler and graphics card my last gaming pc had 11 fans! Current one has less but water cooler is quite noisy under load. I honestly don't notice it while gaming.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Including cooler and graphics card my last gaming pc had 11 fans! Current one has less but water cooler is quite noisy under load. I honestly don't notice it while gaming.
I had a noisy PC a few years ago. It was not a powerful gaming computer, just a mid-range machine I used for software development. After 10 or 12 hours of beavering away, I would turn it off and only then realise just how how fatiguing the noise had been!

I really like working on this laptop, where the sound of me typing is all I hear. (And it has a membrane type keyboard so I don't have the clicks of mechanical keys.)

fossyant

I had a noisy PC a few years ago. It was not a powerful gaming computer, just a mid-range machine I used for software development. After 10 or 12 hours of beavering away, I would turn it off and only then realise just how how fatiguing the noise had been!

I really like working on this laptop, where the sound of me typing is all I hear. (And it has a membrane type keyboard so I don't have the clicks of mechanical keys.)

This laptop I'm using goes into insane loud mode when gaming. It's a 17" i7 4 series, 16GB Ram and an Nvidia 740 graphics - it's a fair few years old but is still OK on most games for an old laptop - I'm not a gamer now, but it doesn't half get loud if anyone plays games - I have a cooling pad under it all the time anyway.

Our 'used' Lenovo ThinkStation is lovely and quiet, but can be exceptionally loud - although it never does that other than on a boot check - sounds like it's on take off.

If my son cranked his fans up it would be quite loud.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
This laptop I'm using goes into insane loud mode when gaming. It's a 17" i7 4 series, 16GB Ram and an Nvidia 740 graphics - it's a fair few years old but is still OK on most games for an old laptop - I'm not a gamer now, but it doesn't half get loud if anyone plays games - I have a cooling pad under it all the time anyway.

Our 'used' Lenovo ThinkStation is lovely and quiet, but can be exceptionally loud - although it never does that other than on a boot check - sounds like it's on take off.
I am using a Lenovo Ideapad. I have never actually pushed it hard enough to get the fans really spinning. I almost feel like doing it just to see how loud it actually gets. I have some demanding music software which I could fire up and try to play (say) 100 tracks of heavily processed audio and see what happens... :whistle:

fossyant

I am using a Lenovo Ideapad. I have never actually pushed it hard enough to get the fans really spinning. I almost feel like doing it just to see how loud it actually gets. I have some demanding music software which I could fire up and try to play (say) 100 tracks of heavily processed audio and see what happens... :whistle:

You can get a 'stress' test from Intel which checks everything !

Boopop

Guru
Have you fired her up yet? Mines still in the box :hyper:
Yeah, here it is inside my FT03 case. Been playing some Control, it's rather good :smile:

1604851115533.png

My old Vega 56 used to rub up against the case fan where my finger is in the photo. It was rather irritating, I usually had to remove both of them at the same time to get the GPU out. Now there's loads of space. Note I did plug in the power connectors after taking this photo ;)

Also, UserBenchmark was rather complimentary about my system :smile: Now I'm tempted to get another 16B of RAM...but then it's not like I need it so perhaps I should chill my boots!

1604851100980.png

OP
OP
Grant Fondo
Yeah, here it is inside my FT03 case. Been playing some Control, it's rather good :smile:

View attachment 557101
My old Vega 56 used to rub up against the case fan where my finger is in the photo. It was rather irritating, I usually had to remove both of them at the same time to get the GPU out. Now there's loads of space. Note I did plug in the power connectors after taking this photo ;)

Also, UserBenchmark was rather complimentary about my system :smile: Now I'm tempted to get another 16B of RAM...but then it's not like I need it so perhaps I should chill my boots!

View attachment 557100
Looks good! Yeah i went 32GB Ram as Flight Sim 20 was showing over 14GB @ 4K which seemed too close for comfort and not even max settings!
Max settings from now on.... when i get round to it.

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
Gave up the arms race years ago, my eldest builds his own now. Don’t think even his PC is as speedy as some on here. I started building gaming pcs back in the day of unreal tournament and quake 3 !! Back when frame rate and rocket launchers was the thing :laugh:! Spent (wasted ) hours playing those games. Along came Call of Duty and that was me sucked in. Laterally about 13yrs ago I got hooked on WoW :whistle:. What a time sink that was , enjoyed it but man it took its toll and I packed it in. Got into console gaming on the Xbox and it was fun for a few years but I think age and boredom got the better of me . Officially retired now from gaming :laugh:.

Gave up the arms race years ago, my eldest builds his own now. Don’t think even his PC is as speedy as some on here. I started building gaming pcs back in the day of unreal tournament and quake 3 !! Back when frame rate and rocket launchers was the thing :laugh:! Spent (wasted ) hours playing those games. Along came Call of Duty and that was me sucked in. Laterally about 13yrs ago I got hooked on WoW :whistle:. What a time sink that was , enjoyed it but man it took its toll and I packed it in. Got into console gaming on the Xbox and it was fun for a few years but I think age and boredom got the better of me . Officially retired now from gaming :laugh:.
I've just spent a pleasant hour with UT99 at full HD and every setting maxed out. Didn't even get the fans whirring!

I've stopped playing FS20 for now because it is extremely crash-happy. Every patch seems to make it worse.

I just tried streaming Subnautica, a game that's been on my backlog for years, on twitch. The performance was perfect despite me not changing a single setting from my first stream. Not a single dropped frame in over 2 hours of gameplay.

Unfortunately, there was also not a single viewer. Just as well, because the stream sucked.

I cannot do any multitasking that requires short-term memorisation of words, and Subnautica is a game about exploring an underwater alien landscape, gathering resources and - crucially - remembering crafting recipes.
Playing it off-stream I could just about get away with, but the stream consisted primarily of "um... er... what did i come here for?" :biggrin::cry:

Top Bottom