Any PC gamers around?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Grant Fondo
Just to add.... 'scalping' is the new buzzword given the situation, so on Ebay this is a £700 card currently :excl:
ASUS ROG Strix GeForce RTX 3080 OC Edition **IN HAND**

£1,999.00+ £8.99 postage

Est. delivery Wed, 11 Nov

He was streaming with a GTX970 and clocked 4790k i7 with 32gb ram, and now has an RTX2070

One of the British GT (real) drivers has come from Sim racing.
Aside from the extra 16 gigs of RAM and my CPU running at stock speed, that (i7 4790k and 970) is literally the same rig as mine.
I'm going to try the software encoder because as I say, my mate who is using it is getting no dropped frames on a demonstrably slower machine.

Jody

Stubborn git
Thanks for asking and very timely! I got a dispatch email this morning 7 weeks after ordering so RTX 3080 on its way :okay: unlike hundreds of others still waiting. Its been a monumental cock-up by Nvidia.

About time too. Looking at Scans website they still have outstanding pre orders for 2000+ 3080's :eek: You'll have to let us know what you think when its up and running.

I managed to bag a 3070 and thought I was one of the lucky ones. Got an email two days later to advise I was 150th in the queue :laugh:

Now I'm hoping it buys me enough time to see what the RX6800 retails for and how it benchmarks.

Boopop

Guru
1604765642889.png

Behold! Spent days looking forward to this and now I can't be bothered installing it after tiring myself out being Dr Bike in the town centre. Gonna watch some Taskmaster and buy Control, then I'll pop it in I think.

Last edited:
So what you're all saying is that there are 10x0 and 20x0 cards looking for a new home? :whistle:

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Q: Those mega-powerful PCs bristling with cooling fans look like they might be incredibly noisy. Are the fans designed for low noise levels, or do the machines sound like helicopters taking off?

(I hate noisy computers! My laptop is blissfully quiet. It does have 2 small cooling fans but I have never noticed the sound of them.)

OP
OP
Grant Fondo
Q: Those mega-powerful PCs bristling with cooling fans look like they might be incredibly noisy. Are the fans designed for low noise levels, or do the machines sound like helicopters taking off?

(I hate noisy computers! My laptop is blissfully quiet. It does have 2 small cooling fans but I have never noticed the sound of them.)
Yes they make a racket but only when gaming rest of the time whisper quiet.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Yes they make a racket but only when gaming rest of the time whisper quiet.
That is like saying that a Formula 1 car is only loud when racing - ha ha! I suppose if you are gaming with headphones on then you probably wouldn't notice the noise?

If/when finances permit I'd like to buy a powerful PC for music production, but powerful graphics wouldn't be needed so it would only be the noise of the main cooling system that would concern me.

That is like saying that a Formula 1 car is only loud when racing - ha ha! I suppose if you are gaming with headphones on then you probably wouldn't notice the noise?

If/when finances permit I'd like to buy a powerful PC for music production, but powerful graphics wouldn't be needed so it would only be the noise of the main cooling system that would concern me.
I have my son's old gaming case and a lot of fans and control for them. I don't game, so I'll use them all, and a water cooler for the cpu, to make my powerful (reasonably) pc very, very quiet indeed.

Top Bottom