Any PC gamers around?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Parts ordered to complete the big PC.
This will enable me to fit the Corsair H100i cpu cooler. At the same time, I'll rejig all the other fans by fitting and setting up a NZXT Sentry 3 fan control system.
The aim is silence rather than cooling under load, and bar the cooler fitting kit, all were freebies.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
This will enable me to fit the Corsair H100i cpu cooler. At the same time, I'll rejig all the other fans by fitting and setting up a NZXT Sentry 3 fan control system.
The aim is silence rather than cooling under load, and bar the cooler fitting kit, all were freebies.

My son has the Sentry 2 - good bit of kit.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!

My son has a smaller single fan Corsair (probably the Hydro 45) water cooler. It's exceptionally quiet, but doesn't half throw heat out the back of the machine, and keeps the internals cool.

OP
OP
Grant Fondo
Corsair 100x makes a racket on full tilt, much more than previous Bequiet dark rock pro air cooler, temps good on both though. The new 10 core Intels pump out a shed load of heat when overclocked i actually need a better case and cooler to be honest.

This board came to me with a Bequiet Dark Rock Pro 3, but the board wouldn't fire up with it attached. I stole a stock Intel LGA1155 cooler from another box, and it's still running with that. As I don't play modern games, the GPU barely gets to yawning, but the cpu fan does noticeably get louder, so as I have all this free stuff, I'm a-gonna fit it! The Bequiet I put on Ebay and my arms were promptly bitten off, so plainly they're a good cooler, and it was certainly an attractive hunk of kit!

OP
OP
Grant Fondo
This board came to me with a Bequiet Dark Rock Pro 3, but the board wouldn't fire up with it attached. I stole a stock Intel LGA1155 cooler from another box, and it's still running with that. As I don't play modern games, the GPU barely gets to yawning, but the cpu fan does noticeably get louder, so as I have all this free stuff, I'm a-gonna fit it! The Bequiet I put on Ebay and my arms were promptly bitten off, so plainly they're a good cooler, and it was certainly an attractive hunk of kit!
Thats made me think... DRPro is still knocking about upstairs, didn't think they would sell s/h + i chucked the box out, doh!

OP
OP
Grant Fondo
Re-posted from a PC forum:

A 3080 poem..

In September I had a dream,
Of a cool new card with a funky little screen.
Then November came,and to my shame,
I'd sold my 1080 so I could upgrade my game.
Now I miss that little card that could,
So I've made a replacement with balsa wood.
At zero fps its not the best,
And it definitely won't pass the crysis test,
But at least its in my system,straining with fatigue,
Because somehow it still runs rocket league

^_^

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I was thinking how you lot are crazy spending so much on these PCs, and then I remembered this...

My 5th computer was 'the beast' - it had twin 3.5" floppies, a CD drive, a small hard drive, 8 MB RAM, a slow 486 processor, VGA graphics, a 14" crt monitor and it cost... £2,000!!! :eek:
:laugh:

Mind you, I earned over £20,000 in the period that I was using it working from home...

OP
OP
Grant Fondo
I was thinking how you lot are crazy spending so much on these PCs, and then I remembered this...

:laugh:

Mind you, I earned over £20,000 in the period that I was using it working from home...
Agree, i posted this a while back, bonkers!

Ok, water cooler fitted and running. Sentry LXE (not a 3 as I said...) installed and running, after some shenanigans with a Molex connector.
Pic shows case air temps on Sentry and GPU on Afterburner. CPU cores at sround 50. Very quiet, this running 8 threads and a gpu thread of MilkyWay@Home on BOINC, so it's doing plenty of work.

The Titan X is a superclocked version from new, but the max boost has been reduced by 100 MHz because it's been used, water-cooled, at way over normal until it was rebuilt to air cooling and passed to me. It's a bit rickety if pushed, so I don't.

Jody

Stubborn git
DPD has just been to deliver a parcel and the wait is finally over. I'm still 40th in the queue for a 3070 so decided to try my luck for a Big Navi. This time I had checked out within 4 minutes of them going live to secure one of only a few that were on sale.

RoubaixCube

~Tribanese~
DPD has just been to deliver a parcel and the wait is finally over. I'm still 40th in the queue for a 3070 so decided to try my luck for a Big Navi. This time I had checked out within 4 minutes of them going live to secure one of only a few that were on sale.
View attachment 558937

I would cancel your wait for the 3070. The 6800 is the superior of the two in 99% of tests. The only place where it really loses is in the Ray Tracing test. Nvidia have the edge over AMD in that field but of course AMD are going to have something in the pipe that hopefully is going to narrow the gap.

As always, some games will favour and be optimised for one brand over the other but that is how its been for a long time. Double the memory buffer is also a plus too over the 3070

Jody

Stubborn git
I would cancel your wait for the 3070. The 6800 is the superior of the two in 99% of tests.

Received my cancelation email in the last hour. I spent last night watching all the reviews and the 6800 has it, apart from RT as you mentioned. AMD will sort that out soon as this GPU is used in the XBox and PS5 so should be well supported and developed to take advantage of the architecture.

I only planned on buying a second hand 1080ti when the prices dropped but somehow talked myself into buying this.

VRAM was the deciding factor. VR is a little more thirsty and didn't feel confident that 8gb would be OK for the next few years.

It's getting installed tonight so there is no going back.

RoubaixCube

~Tribanese~
Potentially, the only real problems you'll be coming across is early adopter issues. AMD did have a lot of hardware and software issues which caused a lot of crashing and freezing etc etc with the 5700 series of cards which did hurt them a fair bit. I know a lot of people who just got fed up of their 5700s and refunded them for an Nvidia 2070Super or a 2080 --Yes they cost more but at least they worked flawlessly when they were all hooked up.

So hopefully AMD didnt rush their product to market and have all the bugs ironed out.

Top Bottom