Any PC gamers around?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

RoubaixCube

~Tribanese~
Case is a Corsair Obsidian 750D which *just* fits under the table. Mobo is an Asus P8Z68 running a Core-i7-2600K. I run everything stock,

I had a similar system back in the day but with the Pro version of the same board and a 2500k that i had tuned to turbo to 4.9Ghz. Pretty decent setup. I wish i still had it but I part exchanged it for a friends X79 setup who didnt want all the horsepower of the X79 platform and needed some extra cash.

His PC lasted me for 6 years (3930k bumped upto 4.6Ghz) but old age eventually killed the board and replacements on ebay were £300-400 and so not worth it given the fact that its a dead platform.

lq8QdTRyFD65QUCbObi-Q5mU=w1743-h1307-no?authuser=0.jpg

This is a bit of an older pic but my current setup hasnt changed very much. Threw out the sound card and changed some of the fans.

8600k@4.8Ghz with a pre-owned 1080Ti that i bought off ebay about 2 years ago.

Last edited:
I had a similar system back in the day but with the Pro version of the same board and a 2500k that i had tuned to turbo to 4.9Ghz. Pretty decent setup. I wish i still had it but I part exchanged it for a friends X79 setup who didnt want all the horsepower of the X79 platform and needed some extra cash.

His PC lasted me for 6 years (3930k bumped upto 4.6Ghz) but old age eventually killed the board and replacements on ebay were £300-400 and so not worth it given the fact that its a dead platform.

View attachment 559194

This is a bit of an older pic but my current setup hasnt changed very much. Threw out the sound card and changed some of the fans.

8600k@4.8Ghz with a pre-owned 1080Ti that i bought off ebay about 2 years ago.
Nice! Personally, I think those otherwise good BeQuiet coolers damage the boards. This one came with one, and it would not fire up, citing cpu error. As soon as I took the weight off and fitted a stock LGA1155 cooler, away it went. Works fine with the water cooler too, but I'd be willing to bet there's actually a broken track somewhere, IF you hang the weight off it and open it up. Maybe that's what killed your board?
My rig was going to be a Z79 job, but my son kept it, not knowing how C-19 would affect his job.

RoubaixCube

~Tribanese~
Nice! Personally, I think those otherwise good BeQuiet coolers damage the boards. This one came with one, and it would not fire up, citing cpu error. As soon as I took the weight off and fitted a stock LGA1155 cooler, away it went. Works fine with the water cooler too, but I'd be willing to bet there's actually a broken track somewhere, IF you hang the weight off it and open it up. Maybe that's what killed your board?
My rig was going to be a Z79 job, but my son kept it, not knowing how C-19 would affect his job.

If you mounted it correctly then its not an issue with the cooler. Maybe some of the soldering joints on your board had been eaten away by oxidisation and mounting the cooler caused the board to warp ever so slightly and the traces/contacts to get pulled slightly apart. This isnt what killed my X79 though. I had previously ran an old corsair H105 AIO liquid cooler and my troubles started happening when i had that installed long before the Be Quiet.

The Dark Rock Pro 3 and 4 are quite heavy coolers. The same can be said about the Noctua NH D-14's and D-15's and those coolers have their own cult following. Still not heard of one of those followers having the same problem as you though.

Big coolers causing motherboards to warp has long been debated though there isnt much evidence as PCBs are always being built with more layers so should technically be a bit more sturdy.

:EDIT:

Just make sure when you install your motherboard inside the case that you use ALL the screws. I can see heavy coolers possibly warping motherboards if the board hasnt been properly mounted inside the case with all the screws or enough pressure to stop it warping.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Grant Fondo
It's another level to the GPU it replaced. It's quiet, even at full load but does have a little bit of coil whine which isn't any worse than the card it replaced. Overall I'm really happy with it.

Project Cars 2 in VR looked like a different game. Constant 80fps with 10% overhead left and that's with almost everything on ultra settings, AA on x16, MSAA on high.

Battelfield V sat at 120+fps on Ultra

Half Life Alyx sat at a constant 80fps with almost everything maxed out. Interestingly it was using 14GB of VRAM when turned up :eek:

View attachment 559127
Glad you are pleased with new setup... this generation of cards are awesome and should keep us going for many years, well as long as 10GB isn't a limiting factor on the 3080 (!)

If you mounted it correctly then its not an issue with the cooler. Maybe some of the soldering joints on your board had been eaten away by oxidisation and mounting the cooler caused the board to warp ever so slightly and the traces/contacts to get pulled slightly apart. This isnt what killed my X79 though. I had previously ran an old corsair H105 AIO liquid cooler and my troubles started happening when i had that installed long before the Be Quiet.

The Dark Rock Pro 3 and 4 are quite heavy coolers. The same can be said about the Noctua NH D-14's and D-15's and those coolers have their own cult following. Still not heard of one of those followers having the same problem as you though.

Big coolers causing motherboards to warp has long been debated though there isnt much evidence as PCBs are always being built with more layers so should technically be a bit more sturdy.

:EDIT:

Just make sure when you install your motherboard inside the case that you use ALL the screws. I can see heavy coolers possibly warping motherboards if the board hasnt been properly mounted inside the case with all the screws or enough pressure to stop it warping.
Entirely correct, mobo must be very secure. But a piece of me just doesn't like that hanging, bending force. If cases were still flat, I'd have kept the DR Pro3 and sold on the H100i now fitted. Anyhow, it's doing well right now, and that's what matters.

Last edited:

Jody

Stubborn git
Glad you are pleased with new setup... this generation of cards are awesome and should keep us going for many years, well as long as 10GB isn't a limiting factor on the 3080 (!)

10gb should be plenty unless you're playing VR and yes I'm hoping it keeps up for a good few years.

RoubaixCube

~Tribanese~
10gb should be plenty unless you're playing VR and yes I'm hoping it keeps up for a good few years.

or playing games in 4K. Running with a whole load of HD texture packs in games like Skyrim, Fallout or even Minecraft can easily eat up 10GB

Tenkaykev

Guru

RoubaixCube

~Tribanese~
Excuse me for popping into this thread for advice. Grandson will be 11 between Christmas and the new year, we’re contributing towards a Christmas / birthday present and he wants his first “gaming laptop"
Budget is about £7-800. I’ve had a look around and have seen this in the price range -

Any alarm bells about this machine ?
Very grateful for any advice or pointers.

View: https://smile.amazon.co.uk/dp/B089BM56BH/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_awdb_imm_t1_ojdUFbHWY90WX?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Looks to be quite a good machine

https://www.notebookcheck.net/Acer-Nitro-5-AN515-44-Laptop-Review-AMD-dating-Nvidia.478287.0.html

Kempstonian

Has the memory of a goldfish
I've been playing a lot of Sudoku lately. An excellent game downloaded from Steam, written by the guys who run this channel:

Top Bottom