Any PC gamers around?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Jody

Stubborn git
The software support did factor in my initial hesitance. According to AMD they have put more resources into that area to make sure they don't have a repeat but it still makes me feel nervous.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Well, my son's just completed Watchdogs Legions in two days. That £50 didn't last long !:whistle:

Well, my son's just completed Watchdogs Legions in two days. That £50 didn't last long !:whistle:
Why do people buy single player games when they come out? I genuinely don't understand the mentality of it.
If you wait 6 months you can get 5 or 6 games on sale for the price of a new release, and by then most of the early issues will be fixed/patched.

I understand the desire to have the latest tech, but waiting 6 months won't negatively affect your enjoyment of a single player game. (as opposed to multiplayer where the earlier you join the more competitive you'll be)

OP
OP
Grant Fondo
Received my cancelation email in the last hour. I spent last night watching all the reviews and the 6800 has it, apart from RT as you mentioned. AMD will sort that out soon as this GPU is used in the XBox and PS5 so should be well supported and developed to take advantage of the architecture.

I only planned on buying a second hand 1080ti when the prices dropped but somehow talked myself into buying this.

VRAM was the deciding factor. VR is a little more thirsty and didn't feel confident that 8gb would be OK for the next few years.

It's getting installed tonight so there is no going back.
Let us know how you get on.

Jody

Stubborn git
Let us know how you get on.

It's another level to the GPU it replaced. It's quiet, even at full load but does have a little bit of coil whine which isn't any worse than the card it replaced. Overall I'm really happy with it.

Project Cars 2 in VR looked like a different game. Constant 80fps with 10% overhead left and that's with almost everything on ultra settings, AA on x16, MSAA on high.

Battelfield V sat at 120+fps on Ultra

Half Life Alyx sat at a constant 80fps with almost everything maxed out. Interestingly it was using 14GB of VRAM when turned up :eek:

It's another level to the GPU it replaced. It's quiet, even at full load but does have a little bit of coil whine which isn't any worse than the card it replaced. Overall I'm really happy with it.

Project Cars 2 in VR looked like a different game. Constant 80fps with 10% overhead left and that's with almost everything on ultra settings, AA on x16, MSAA on high.

Battelfield V sat at 120+fps on Ultra

Half Life Alyx sat at a constant 80fps with almost everything maxed out. Interestingly it was using 14GB of VRAM when turned up :eek:

View attachment 559127
Fabulous. Wish I could get mine that tidy!
I have to go inside it later to check a connection. Might take a picture then.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
What's Half Life Alyx like in VR - I could see myself 'borrowing' my son's set up. Love Half Life 2

Jody

Stubborn git
What's Half Life Alyx like in VR - I could see myself 'borrowing' my son's set up. Love Half Life 2

Wow was about the only word I could use for the first hour. It is the most visually stunning game I've every seen and would be an insult to give it only 10/10

It will take some years before something could beat it in my eyes.

Jody

Stubborn git
You win. Although it's mainly the new type of case that has kept mine tidy. You should see what it looks like behind the rear cover :laugh:

We have the same PSU and that also looks like the mobo i've just switched out (ASUS P67 Pro).

You win. Although it's mainly the new type of case that has kept mine tidy. You should see what it looks like behind the rear cover :laugh:

We have the same PSU and that also looks like the mobo i've just switched out (ASUS P67 Pro).
Case is a Corsair Obsidian 750D which *just* fits under the table. Mobo is an Asus P8Z68 running a Core-i7-2600K. I run everything stock, although because eveything is very stable, Windows tends to use the turbo boost with gay abandon. Hugely too powerful for anything I do, but was essentially free, so...
All I had to do was build it, a bit of a work-in-progress.

Top Bottom