Any people from Norfolk?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Hi all, thinking of moving to Norfolk, around the Cromer/ Holt area . Spent a few days there recently to visit a few places as dont know the area well, liked a village called Trunch, but didnt see a suitable property . Now back in Leicester and seen a lovely house in a place called Gresham , anyone know of it? Also as Norwich is the main city, is it ok? Pretty much the same as any other city I presume.
Any info gratefully received

AndyRM

XOXO
@mjr is the first user who springs to mind.

AndyRM

XOXO
Personally, I like Norwich. The city centre is tiny, with loads of independent shops, places to eat and drink. The covered market is fun on the weekends and Cinema City is a favourite. Victoria Park is class for a stroll. UAE gets some really good bands.

I don't know whether this is intentional or not, but it's an absolute ball-ache to drive around, which is a good thing!

I spent three years in Norwich whilst I studied at UEA and liked the friendly and relaxed atmosphere of this provincial city very much indeed.

My sister has lived in Beccles, Bungay and Loddon, all of which are friendly, pleasant large villages.

The Norfolk Broads is a beautiful network of waterways, and the coast, on a fine day, is a good place to be.

It's close-ish to Stansted airport (although Norwich does have its own) and Liverpool Street station is a two-hour train journey away.

Go for it.

AndyRM

XOXO
I spent three years in Norwich whilst I studied at UEA and liked the friendly and relaxed atmosphere of this provincial city very much indeed.

My sister has lived in Beccles, Bungay and Loddon, all of which are friendly, pleasant large villages.

The Norfolk Broads is a beautiful network of waterways, and the coast, on a fine day, is a good place to be.

It's close-ish to Stansted airport (although Norwich does have its own) and Liverpool Street station is a two-hour train journey away.

Go for it.

Considering I've got a UEA top, I really shouldn't have made that mistake...

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
@mjr is the first user who springs to mind.
I'm not from here but I've lived in Norfolk a long time. Norwich is a fine city, as the signs used to say. It punches well above its weight and there's so many beautiful things there. Driving around is OK but not fast. Driving through is a complete ball ache. Cycling is OK and slowly improving.

I've been to Cromer a few times but don't know it well. It's on the edge of my day trip range from West Norfolk. It seems a typical small Victorian resort town.

Considering I've got a UEA top, I really shouldn't have made that mistake...

Were you there as a student?

A few on here were there: Regulator, who has left CC, and DP. I didn't know them but think our paths might have crossed.

I was there 1995-99. School of EUR.

AndyRM

XOXO
Were you there as a student?

A few on here were there: Regulator, who has left CC, and DP. I didn't know them but think our paths might have crossed.

I was there 1995-99. School of EUR.

Nope. It was a (somewhat random) gift from my former mother in law.

Saluki

World class procrastinator
Hi
Yep, I'm a local.

Currently in West Norfolk, about 10 miles from King's Lynn currently.
Norwich is great. Shopping is good and driving there is a pain in the butt but cycling is OK.
Holt, Trunch and up that way is quite pricey. You can get more bang for your buck elsewhere in Norfolk.

Gresham: bloody lovely. Not a major crime hotspot as far as I am aware and all around nice place :smile: Quite lumpy that way, for Norfolk.

OP
OP
Broughtonblue
Hi
Yep, I'm a local.

Currently in West Norfolk, about 10 miles from King's Lynn currently.
Norwich is great. Shopping is good and driving there is a pain in the butt but cycling is OK.
Holt, Trunch and up that way is quite pricey. You can get more bang for your buck elsewhere in Norfolk.

Gresham: bloody lovely. Not a major crime hotspot as far as I am aware and all around nice place :smile: Quite lumpy that way, for Norfolk.
Thanks, yes just looking and making enquiries atm, looked af the broads but that was expensive, just want a village with a nice pub, shop etc, but not far from the coast, just a few miles inland, didnt physically see Gresham when we visited but planning a couple more long weekends to help decide, we stayed in Roughton last time and although it was quite nice the village seemed fairly spread out. Fellbrig was quite nice too

Levo-Lon

Guru
Place gets over run with bloody tourists.
Norfolk is lovely, coastal breeze can be cold of that North Sea but dont let that put you off.

As for pub and shop.... That can change any day in a village.. Melton Constable area is very Norfolk as is Swafham area.
You'll need to learn the language :laugh:

I'm definitely a local born and bred although I only have five fingers and toes! Travelled a lot but absolutely love home. Live in a village about six miles north of Norwich and usually head to the coast via the small lanes. Beware the surfaces can be awful, coast road I find is mostly ok to ride on from Wells to Cromer. I think you may have trouble finding a small village with both a shop and pub.

Top Bottom