Any point in buying a 'Women's' Road Bike?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

EmilyCC87

Regular
Hi,

I currently ride a Carrera TDF (cheapest road bike on the market!!), bought second hand from a friend and I'd like to upgrade now I'm cycling frequently, and before a 300 mile ride in September!

Is there an point in choosing a female road bike? Or should I go for a mens bike?

I would like to spend no more then £850, I don't cycle particulalry quickly but I do a fair few miles, mainly country roads. Though the ride in September is through France/Belgium so guess I need something light but practical so I can add panniers etc.

Some advice would be great!

Emily

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Hi,

I currently ride a Carrera TDF (cheapest road bike on the market!!), bought second hand from a friend and I'd like to upgrade now I'm cycling frequently, and before a 300 mile ride in September!
cough ...
http://www.decathlon.co.uk/triban-3-id_8167038.html

Is there an point in choosing a female road bike? Or should I go for a mens bike?
If i remember female bikes tend to have longer head tubes and shorter top tubes + a wider saddle , if you are comfy buying a non female specific bike it should be easy enough to later a standard frame with stem/saddle choice.

I would like to spend no more then £850, I don't cycle particularly quickly but I do a fair few miles, mainly country roads. Though the ride in September is through France/Belgium so guess I need something light but practical so I can add panniers etc.
What about a trek wsd ?

http://www.trekbikes.com/uk/en/bikes/road/sport/lexa/
Some advice would be great!

Emily

screenman

Legendary Member
Womens bikes are or should be designed for women, who you may not have noticed are a different shape to most men.^_^ You could more than likely find a man's bike that roughly fits, however you are more likely to find a women's bike of the correct size properly fits.

Women tend to have longer legs and a shorter torso to men, hence the frame size will be different, by this I do not mean just the seat tube, but the ratio between seat and top tubes.

Enjoy your cycling.

no harm in trying both - as long as you end up with the one which you feel most comfortable on, regardless of what it says on the top tube....

OP
OP
E

EmilyCC87

Regular

haha ok so nearly the cheapest on the market!! That Trek is beautiful!! I'll definitely have a closer look at that.
Yeah I got a female saddle for my Carrera which is very comfy.

Thanks for the advice.

OP
OP
E

EmilyCC87

Regular
Womens bikes are or should be designed for women, who you may not have noticed are a different shape to most men.^_^ You could more than likely find a man's bike that roughly fits, however you are more likely to find a women's bike of the correct size properly fits.

Women tend to have longer legs and a shorter torso to men, hence the frame size will be different, by this I do not mean just the seat tube, but the ratio between seat and top tubes.

Enjoy your cycling.

Yes I had noticed......!
My questions were really because when searching for best road bikes under £1000, a womens bike has never come up and I didnt know if it was really just a case of styling or if there was a huge difference....thank you, now at least I know!!

screenman

Legendary Member
Something like,

http://www.paulscycles.co.uk/products.php?plid=m7b4s134p4382

That is just an idea, check for sizes though.

lordloveaduck

Enjoy your cycling.

That's mostly hype as there are men and women who have the same body proportions. Also womens bikes tend to have lower spec.
If you find a womens/mens bike that you like buy it. But for better spec in womens bikes to match the same spec in mens cost more. Plus womens paint jobs are totally pants.

I got a Cube Peloton racer £750, the only thing i changed was the saddle.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
I think the general advice is that if you are on the short side then you are likely to find a smaller frame designed for women will be a better fit. If you are average to tall then you may find you will have more choice by including mens bikes in your searches, though a woman's bike still might be the best fit.

vickster

Legendary Member
Get the one you feel most comfortable on. Not that many road bikes in that price range have the holes for a rack. If confort is more important than speed, maybe a steel tourer rather than a road race bike. Will take proper mudguards too. Women's bikes have different geometry, shorter stems and perhaps importantly narrower bars. How big are you. I have both types. A unisex carbon specced tto me and an alu women's giant. The men's equivalent was wrong for me. Reach to much, bars too wide and the saddle!! Ouch. I am 5'9ish...same price. Same spec. 700 in sale with tiagra

screenman

Legendary Member
L, do you have some research to back up your claims about sizing of men and women, if so it is different to mine.

OP
OP
E

EmilyCC87

Regular
I am 5ft 10/11 but a size 8/10 so I'm not heavy but quite tall.
The Giant is lovely- Ive been looking at their range a lot.
So is the Cube one though!
Its definitely a road bike I want- but guess i should choose carefully if I want to add panniers- thanks for that- good to know!

Zakalwe

I'd be inclined to think that most female specific frame design comes down to shrinking it and pinking it. Have a look at the peloton, riders are all shapes and sizes. Wiggins is 6'3" while Cavendish is something like 5'8", both riding the same frame. Women's team AA drink-leontien seemingly ride Cervélo S2's without any issues. Try then both and see what works best for you. Wide bars can be replaced with narrower ones, stems come in various lengths and angles, saddles can be swapped.

Top Bottom