Any reasons not to cycle in this rain?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

dodd82

Just looking at the pouring rain - not exactly looking forward to the commute home, but am not overly bothered about getting wet either.

Are there any safety reasons why riding in this rain would be stupid?

Andrew_Culture

Internet Marketing bod
Just try not to brake hard or turn hard on drain covers or road markings. Riding in the rain is brilliant fun, more so on the way home than the way out.

Unless you have a carbon bike, those dissolve in all but the lightest mizzle.

Davidc

Guru
Only if you've got chrome plated steel rims like we used to use.

If you have then watch out for the Grim Reaper on point duty.

Otherwise, no.

What Andrew_C says is good, but I stopped agreeing with the fun bit a long time ago.

ohnovino

Large Member
If you're not used to riding in the rain, you may be shocked by just how ineffective your brakes are. Be sure to brake ridiculously early, just to get an idea of your stopping power.

BTW, the worst thing about the rain is that all the fair-weather riders disappear, so you have fewer targets to chase down!

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
Cycle through puddles, lift your feet up and go weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I once cycled behind a woman on a fixed and she took her feet off the pedals everytime she went through a puddle so her feet didnt get wet, she couldnt get her feet back on as the pedals were spinning round so quick.

Davidc

Guru
Main trouble with puddles is that they disguise the potholes.

I only agree with ohnovino in the case of the steel rims I mentioned above. With alloy rims and decent brake pads I notice a drop in effectiveness, but not much. Someone else with real experience of them can comment on discs.

I have different breeds of kool stop mixed compound brakes on my two bikes, both will stop me very effectively in the wet or the dry.

OP
OP
dodd82

dodd82

If you're not used to riding in the rain, you may be shocked by just how ineffective your brakes are. Be sure to brake ridiculously early, just to get an idea of your stopping power.

BTW, the worst thing about the rain is that all the fair-weather riders disappear, so you have fewer targets to chase down!

I might well be one of those targets!

But thanks to you and everyone for the tips on here - it's making me feel better ahead of the journey.

Top Bottom